Gustafsson/Nogueira set for London

Alexander Gustafsson’s path back to a light heavyweight title

shot will go through London, England on March 8 when he faces

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in his next bout.

UFC president Dana White made the announcement about the fight

at the UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz post fight press


White also guaranteed that if Gustafsson beats Nogueira, he will

get the next shot at the light heavyweight title against the winner

of Jon Jones and Glover Teixeira, who will fight in the first

quarter of 2014. Gustafsson battled Jones to a close decision at

UFC 165 in one of the best fights of the year, but he came up short

in his bid to become champion. The fight was so impressive,

however, that the UFC was willing to give him another shot if he

can get a win in his next bout.

Gustafsson was scheduled to face Nogueira once before at a UFC

on Fuel TV event in his home country of Sweden, but the Brazilian

was forced to pull out of the bout due to injury.

Now the pair of top ten light heavyweights will square off in

March, 2014 with title implications on the line.

Nogueira has been out of action since February when he pulled

off a unanimous decision victory over Rashad Evans at UFC 156,

which marked his second win in a row inside the Octagon. Injuries

have hampered Nogueira from returning since that time as he was

originally scheduled to fight Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 161

before dropping out of the event.

Now Nogueira will have a chance to get back in action against a

top rated contender with the opportunity to enter his name into the

title race with a victory.

Also announced at the UFC Fight Night post fight press

conference, Ross Pearson and Melvin Guillard will rematch at the

upcoming event on March 8 in London after their fight ended on

Saturday by no contest. The controversial ending happened after

Guillard landed two knee strikes with at least one of them deemed

illegal while Pearson’s hand was on the mat. During the pause in

action due to the illegal strike, the doctor checked out Pearson

and one of the knee strikes caused a huge gash on his forehead that

forced the fight to be stopped.