Anderson Silva fails second drug test for UFC 183, is suspended

UPDATE: The Nevada State Athletic Commission held a meeting on Tuesday and issued temporary suspensions to UFC fighters Anderson Silva, Nick Diaz and Hector Lombard following positive drug test results from January.

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva failed a second drug test administered on Jan. 31, the night of his fight against Nick Diaz in the main event of UFC 183 in Las Vegas.

The positive test was confirmed by Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett prior to a meeting held by the governing body Tuesday.

According to several media reports, Silva tested positive for Drostanolone, which is the same anabolic steroid that showed up on a Jan. 9 test result as well.  

The test results also showed traces of Oxazepam and Temazepam, which are two different anti-anxiety medications in the Benzodiazepine family also used to help with insomnia. Both drugs can cause drowsiness and loss of coordination as well as fatigue, mental slowing or confusion.

Over the course of four weeks, Silva was given three different drug tests. The former champion failed a Jan. 9 test with both Drostanolone and Androstane being found in his sample. A second test was given on Jan. 19, and Silva’s test results returned negative. The third and final test was given on the night of the fight, Jan. 31, where Silva tested positive once again for Drostanolone as well as the two anti-anxiety medications.

When the initial test result was released, Silva maintained his innocence in the matter while stating vehemently that he never used any kind of performance-enhancing drugs.

"I have not taken any performance enhancing drugs," Silva said in a statement released on Feb. 4. "My stance on drugs is, and will always be, the same. I’m an advocate for a clean sport."

Silva has the right to have a second sample that was taken at the same time tested if he contests the results, but as of yet no request has been made by the former champion or his representatives.

The test conducted on Jan. 31 was returned to the commission on Feb. 10 by the SMRTL laboratory in Salt Lake City, which is a World Anti-Doping Agency accredited lab. Silva was notified of the failed test results as of Feb. 12.

Silva’s opponent, Nick Diaz, who failed a post-fight drug test for marijuana, did not have any performance-enhancing substances in his sample taken at the same time.

The commission is meeting and will address Silva’s positive test Tuesday while likely issuing a temporary suspension until a full hearing can be scheduled. The disciplinary hearing, which will likely take place in March or April, will be the time when Silva will have a chance to appear in front of the commission to present his defense. 

If the results are held up, Silva likely is facing a suspension from the sport as well as a fine. His win over Diaz is also likely to be overturned to a no-contest if the results stand.