Tennis broadcaster Justin Gimelstob accused of assault in LA
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Tennis broadcaster and coach Justin Gimelstob faces a felony assault charge following his Halloween night arrest for allegedly attacking a former friend in Los Angeles.
The 41-year-old former pro player is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.
Gimelstob’s attorney, Shawn Holley, didn’t immediately respond Tuesday to an email and call seeking comment.
Gimelstob was arrested on suspicion of attacking Randall Kaplan from behind as they trick-or-treated with their kids on the evening of Oct. 31. Kaplan said Gimelstob struck him multiple times and threatened to kill him.
Sean Walsh, a spokesman for Kaplan, said a motive for the alleged assault is unknown. Kaplan alleges that Gimelstob previously threatened him because he was friends with the tennis commentator’s estranged wife, according to Walsh.
Gimelstob surrendered to police and was later released on $50,000 bail. He could not be reached for comment.
In a subsequent request for a temporary restraining order, Kaplan wrote that the attack left him with “large contusions and bruises on my face,” along with other bruises and possibly a concussion. A judge granted the order.
The broadcaster is divorcing from his wife, Cary Gimelstob. In 2016, she sought a domestic violence restraining order against Gimelstob, alleging he physically assaulted her in front of their child. He has denied the allegations.
Gimelstob won more than a dozen doubles titles as a player. He retired in 2007 and has since worked with the Tennis Channel.