UFC bantamweight contender Michael McDonald targeting spring return

BY foxsports • November 19, 2014

Michael McDonald is a forgotten man in the UFC's bantamweight division. But perhaps not for much longer.

McDonald, still one of the most promising young fighters in MMA, is targeting a return in the spring, his manager Jason House told UFC Tonight's Ariel Helwani. McDonald has not fought since falling to Urijah Faber in December 2013.

After that fight against Faber, McDonald (16-3) had surgery on his right hand. Then, his right wrist was bothering him, so he had surgery on that last week. McDonald told ESPN.com recently that he has incorporated more heavy weight lifting into his training regimen, which has been helpful.

McDonald, 23, is still ranked No. 5 among UFC bantamweight contenders. The youngster had his first fight in WEC at age 19 and started his pro MMA career when he was 16. He has been in the UFC since 2011 and has wins over names like Chris Cariaso, Brad Pickett and Miguel Torres.

However, the California native has lost two of his last three fights, with those defeats coming to Faber and Renan Barao.



share