Aldo shying from Pettis bout — why?

BY foxsports • February 23, 2013

UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo doesn’t want any part of Anthony Pettis and is seeking to get out of their August title fight, UFC president Dana White told reporters after UFC 157 at Honda Center on Saturday.

“He’s absolutely refusing to fight Pettis,” White said. “He doesn’t think (Pettis) deserves the shot.”

White said Aldo doesn’t have a choice.

“You're (expletive) right he’s going to fight Pettis,” White added.

Pettis typically has fought at 155 pounds as a lightweight, but decided not to hang around for a shot at the title. (Benson Henderson currently has the belt.) No venue has been set for the Aug. 3 fight, which was announced earlier this month.

White said Aldo’s manager, Andre Pederneiras, sat down with him and matchmaker Joe Silva at UFC's event in London last week and told them, “We don’t think (Pettis) deserves it. He may be the No. 1 guy at (155), but how does that make him (the top featherweight contender)?”



share story