Hewitt sidelined for 3 weeks with hand injury

BY foxsports • September 19, 2010

Former world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt may be sidelined for up to three weeks after sustaining a right hand injury that forced him to pull out of Australia's Davis Cup World Group playoff against Belgium.

Australia Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald said Sunday the decision to replace the 36th-ranked Hewitt on the team was made late Saturday after he paired with Paul Hanley to beat Olivier Rochus and Ruben Bemelmans in straight sets to give Australia a 2-1 lead in the tie.

''We knew last night. When we left the court yesterday we had a discussion,'' Fitzgerald said. ''Lleyton has a strain in the back of his hand close to his wrist - it was painful.''

Fitzgerald said Hewitt sustained the injury late in the second set of the doubles match and the team doctor advised he will need three weeks to recover.

Peter Luczak replaced Hewitt to face Rochus in the opening reverse singles match Sunday.

Hewitt attained the ATP top ranking in 2001 after winning that year's U.S. Open, before going on to win Wimbledon in 2002. He was knocked out in the first round this year's U.S. Open last month by Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu.


in this topic

share story