Wenger to serve touchline ban at Spurs

BY foxsports • September 21, 2010

Wenger will serve his one-match touchline ban in the Carling Cup third-round clash at Tottenham tonight. The Gunners boss was fuming after his side conceded a dramatic equaliser in the fifth minute of stoppage time at the Stadium of Light, which denied them the chance to go top of the table. Wenger sarcastically patted fourth official Martin Atkinson on the back after Darren Bent's late goal, which came 15 seconds after the allotted four minutes had been played, and was also critical in his post-match comments. A statement on the FA website read: "Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted a charge of using insulting and/or abusive language and behaviour amounting to improper conduct. "Wenger has accepted the standard sanction of an £8,000 fine and a one-match touchline ban which will be served with immediate effect at Arsenal's League Cup match against Tottenham Hotspur this evening (Tuesday). "The charge related to Wenger's conduct towards match officials at the conclusion of Arsenal's match against Sunderland on 18 September." Wenger's main gripe was that he could not see why any additional time should have been played. Speaking after the match - refereed by Phil Dowd, who sent off Arsenal midfielder Alex Song for two yellow cards - the Arsenal manager said: "It was outside the four minutes. "I know the referee can give more than four, it's a minimum of four minutes, but in the four minutes nothing happened to justify the extension of the time. "But I cannot do anything about that." Wenger added: "If you have a watch, you can control. It's as simple as that." Asked about a suggestion he had put his hands on Atkinson, Wenger replied: "Take the pictures and look at it. "I complain to nobody, especially not to you." Last season, Wenger received an apology from referees' chief Keith Hackett over his dismissal during the Gunners' 2-1 loss to Manchester United during August 2009. Wenger was sent to the stands by referee Mike Dean in the dying moments at Old Trafford on the advice of fourth official Lee Probert after the Arsenal manager kicked a water bottle following a disallowed goal which would have been a last-minute equaliser. After his sending-off, Wenger was unaware of where to go and firstly moved to the Arsenal dugout, then the main stand before being ushered along the touchline to the tunnel.

share story