Ten-man Inter Milan draws Torino

October 20, 2013

The Nerazzurri announced earlier this week they had reached a binding agreement over the sale of a 70 percent stake of Inter to International Sports Capital, led by Indonesian billionaire Erick Thohir.

But his arrival did little to help Inter on the pitch as they saw goalkeeper Samir Handanovic sent off after just five minutes before his replacement, Juan Pablo Carrizo, saved a penalty from Alessio Cerci.

That set the tone for an enthralling fixture in which Torino twice took the lead with goals from Alexander Farnerud and Ciro Immobile only to be pegged back by Fredy Guarin and Rodrigo Palacio.

Palacio's second goal of the match then looked to have sealed the win for Inter until Bellomo's late heroics snatched a deserved point for the Turin side.

The signs of what was to follow were there from the second minute when Cerci rattled the post with a left-footed shot.

Three minutes later Handanovic was given his marching orders for a challenge on Cerci, but the forward was unable to make the subsequent penalty count as substitute keeper Carrizo's first contribution was to save the spot-kick.

The 10 men of Inter then managed to hold out until the 22nd minute when Torino eventually made the breakthrough, with Cerci's cross only half cleared by the visiting defence allowing Farnerud to slot home into the bottom-right corner.

However, the Nerazzurri were level with the last action of the half thanks to a spectacular goal from Guarin, who found the net with his bicycle kick.

The second half was no less entertaining for any neutrals in the crowd as Torino regained the advantage after 54 minutes. Cerci was again at the heart of it, with his shot blocked by Andrea Ranocchia before Immobile slammed home the rebound.

This time Inter's response was immediate thanks largely to an error from home goalkeeper Daniele Padelli, who failed to take hold of a cross from Saphir Taider allowing Palacio to head into an empty net.

Spurred on by his team's spirited performance, Palacio struck again after 71 minutes, turning in Ishak Belfodil's pass to fire Inter in front for the first time in the match.

And as the clock ticked down, it looked as if the visitors would walk away three points until substitute Bellomo, who had only been on the pitch 10 minutes, earned his side a draw with a lovely curled strike into the top-left corner.