Spurs & Trotters triumph, Reds held

BY foxsports • January 26, 2010

Coyle's first league win as Bolton boss came at the expense of his old club with Chung-Yong Lee scoring the only goal of the game off the underside of the bar in the 34th minute. Bolton had the better of a fast-paced opening and the Burnley fans' displeasure at Coyle's departure was plain to see with some chants and banners aimed against their former boss. Fabrice Muamba shot over the bar when he should have scored but Chris Eagles had an even better chance to open the scoring for Burnley when Jussi Jaaskelainen deflected a Steven Fletcher shot into his path. The dangerous Lee finally broke the deadlock in the 34th minute with a thunderous effort which hit the bar and bounced down and away, only for referee Martin Atkinson to rightly deem it had crossed the line. Rafael Benitez suffered another blow to his hopes of leading Liverpool back into the Champions League as he watched his side fail to break down a resolute Wolves defence during a 0-0 draw at Molineux. Although a point was enough to move the Reds above Manchester City on goal difference the reality will not be lost on Benitez who watched his players struggle to assert their authority. Troubled by Wolves striker Kevin Doyle throughout, the visitors failed to create enough chances with Steven Gerrard flashing wide and Dirk Kuyt missing from long range. Doyle had the best chance of the night in the 33rd minute Matt Jarvis beat Jamie Carragher to the byline and sent in a low cross which the Irishman poked just wide from close range. The night got worse for Liverpool with news that Tottenham did precisely what Benitez's men had failed to do by maintaining their own top-four push with a 2-0 win over Fulham. Despite an early scare from Bobby Zamora, Spurs took the lead in the 27th minute when Luca Modric's trickery in the box set up a chance for Peter Crouch to clip the ball home. Damien Duff threatened for the visitors before the home side moved further in front just before the hour mark, a free-kick from the recalled David Bentley deflecting in off a helpless Bjorn Helge Riise. Danny Webber clambered off the Portsmouth bench to fire a late equaliser against West Ham at Fratton Park and keep Avram Grant's men in touch with their relegation rivals. Webber had only been on the pitch for three minutes when he picked up a pass from John Utaka and coolly slotted it under Hammers keeper Robert Green to secure a potentially vital point in a 1-1 draw. Gianfranco Zola's side were heading for victory after Matthew Upson bundled home a 52nd minute opener after Pompey had failed to clear an Alessandro Diamanti corner from the right.

share story