Spain's Fabregas cleared of serious leg injury

BY foxsports • July 6, 2010

Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas is available to play in Wednesday's World Cup semifinal match against Germany despite injuring his leg during a training session.

The Spanish football federation said scans on Fabregas' right leg had ruled out a bone injury after he was hurt it in a closed training session on Monday.

Fabregas trained normally with the rest of his teammates on Tuesday evening. Wearing a support strip down the back of his right leg, Fabregas showed no discomfort as he participated in passing and possession drills in the first 15 minutes of training open to the media.

"He trained well, pretty well," coach Vicente del Bosque said. "Yesterday we were pretty worried because he got hit right where he had been injured, but he's available to play."

Fabregas fractured a bone in that same leg in March and had played only twice before the tournament in South Africa.

He is in contention to start the game at Moses Mabhida Stadium, with striker Fernando Torres struggling to find form since undergoing knee surgery in April.

The 23-year-old Fabregas has played only 93 minutes in three of Spain's five matches so far. He was impressive in the quarterfinal win over Paraguay as a second-half replacement for Torres.

Reserve center back Raul Albiol trained apart from the other 22 players as he continues his recovery from an ankle injury.
 


share story