South Africa 'disappointed' by CAF's Togo ban

BY foxsports • March 1, 2010

South Africa's foreign minister has criticized a decision by African football authorities to ban Togo from the next two African Cup of Nations.

Maite Nkoana-Mashabane says she is "disappointed" with the African Football Confederation for banning Togo.

The team agreed to remain in Angola and play after gunmen killed two members of the team's party and a driver at last month's tournament in Angola, but the Togo government ordered the players home.

CAF said the withdrawal constituted government interference, a violation of the rules.

Togo has asked world sport's top court to overturn the suspension from the 2012 and 2014 African Cup of Nations.


share story