Scottish Premier League Roundup, Feb. 12

BY foxsports • February 12, 2011

Rangers thrashed Motherwell 6-0 at Ibrox on Saturday to close the gap on SPL leaders Celtic to two points, while Hearts and Hibernian also won.

The Gers also have a game in hand on Celtic, who visit Dundee United on Sunday lunchtime.

Steven Naismith set the ball rolling with an early opener and Shaun Hutchison also chipped in with an own goal at Ibrox.

The emphatic win allowed Rangers to move within two points of leaders Celtic ahead of their game against Dundee United on Sunday.

Kyle Bartley, who joined on loan from Arsenal on transfer deadline day, made his debut for Rangers in the clash at Ibrox.

Elsewhere, Stephen Elliott double gave Hearts a comfortable 2-0 win over bottom side Hamilton at New Douglas Park.

The visitors dominated from the first whistle and there was no surprise when the Irishman headed the Gorgie side into the lead in the 22nd minute from a Lee Wallace cross.

The first 45 minutes showed why Accies had failed to win a home league game this season and that record was kept intact a minute after the break when Elliott deflected in a Marius Zaliukas header from a Rudi Skacel corner.

At Easter Road, new Hibernian signings Akpo Sodje and Victor Palsson were on target as Colin Calderwood's 10 men made it back-to-back wins in a heated clash with Kilmarnock.

In an absorbing encounter, Sodje opened the scoring and Palsson added a second from the penalty spot.

The visitors then found the net from 12 yards through Jamie Hamill as Francis Dickoh was sent off for a professional foul.

Referee Steve Conroy struggled to keep control in the dying stages when both benches and just about every player was involved in a melee, but Hibs held on to win 2-1.

St Mirren defender Darren McGregor headed a deserved equaliser as the Paisley side shared the spoils in an entertaining six-goal encounter with Inverness.

McGregor struck in the 74th minute at St Mirren Park after Adam Rooney had put Inverness back in front on the counter attack.

Rooney had struck first early on but two goals in 77 seconds, from Michael Higdon and Steven Thomson, turned the game on its head before Aaron Doran quickly levelled and the scoreline remained 3-3.

Earlier on Saturday, the game between St Johnstone and Aberdeen was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Referee Craig Thomson carried out an inspection at 1115 GMT and quickly declared the surface unplayable.