March return for Ben Arfa

BY foxsports • February 2, 2011

The Frenchman, who completed a permanent switch to the Magpies during the January transfer window, fractured two bones in his left leg during a Premier League fixture with Manchester City in October 2010. He has been out of action since then, with two operations required in order to piece him back together. The second of those surgeries was carried out by French doctor Eric Rolland back in November. He insists a second spell under the knife was essential for Ben Arfa's recovery and is confident the 23-year-old will soon be back playing again. "He had to undergo a second surgical procedure in November," Rolland told L'Equipe. "There was a problem that could have become infected and stopped the bones from setting. "We had to sort it out as an emergency. He is out of danger, though, and it won't delay his return to competition. "People from Newcastle have been told about this. They were in contact with us at the time and are still in contact now. "If each step is followed properly, the player should be able to resume playing early in March." Ben Arfa'a agent is of a similar opinion when it comes to timescales regarding his client's recovery. Michel Ouazine told L'Equipe: "The hope is that Hatem will be back on the training pitch in March. "The second surgery was needed. Now it is just a matter of time. "There is no rush for him to comeback. Hatem is prepared to be patient and do things in the right way."


share story