Ghana finally confirms Rajevac resignation
The Ghana Football Association finally confirmed Monday that Milovan Rajevac has quit as coach of the Black Stars.
Following a meeting of the GFA, spokesman Randy Abbey told The Associated Press that the Serbian coach had formally handed in his resignation, ending a two-year stint where he took Ghana to the final of the 2010 African Cup of Nations and the last eight of the World Cup in South Africa.
"He (Rajevac) has informed the Ghana Football Association that he wants to move on with new challenges," Abbey said. "No replacement has been named because the GFA has not taken any decision on that issue yet."
It had already been widely reported that Rajevac had left his job with Ghana to take up a lucrative offer with Saudi club Al Ahly Jeddah.
The GFA had given the 56-year-old Rajevac a seven-day ultimatum, which expired Sunday, to sign a new four-year-contract.
Rajevac enjoyed an impressive spell in charge of Ghana, guiding a young team to the final of the Cup of Nations in Angola earlier this year, where it eventually lost 1-0 to Egypt in the final.
He also took the team to the World Cup quarterfinals, and their best-ever performance at football's biggest event.
The Black Stars beat the USA in the last 16 and captured the support of an entire continent at Africa's first World Cup.
Ghana then missed a late penalty against Uruguay that would have seen them become the first African team to make the semifinals, and went on to lose in a penalty shootout.
Ghana has just kicked off its qualifying campaign for the 2012 African Cup of Nations, beating Swaziland 3-0 on Sept. 5 in Rajevac's last game in charge.
Ghana's next qualifier is at home to Sudan in early October.
There is no obvious candidate to succeed Rajevac.