Eto'o expected to leave Sampdoria following MLS move rumors

BY foxsports • June 12, 2015

Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero expects Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o to leave the Serie A club this summer.

Eto'o, 34, joined Samp from Everton in January and is under contract with the Genoa outfit until June 2018.

However, the former Inter Milan player has failed to impress in his second spell in Serie A, scoring just two goals in 18 league appearances for Samp, and has been linked with a move to the United States to play in Major League Soccer.

When asked about Eto'o's future, Ferrero said to Sky Italia: "I think this little bird is destined to fly towards other shores.

"As far as I'm concerned, he could stay for life as I wanted him and chose him to come here.

"He is a great champion but if he wants to leave, then he can follow his heart... and his wallet."

A four-time African Footballer of the Year, Eto'o enjoyed success in Italy earlier in his career.

He moved to Inter from Barcelona in a £28million transfer deal in July 2009 and helped the Nerazzurri win a historic treble - Serie A, Coppa Italia and Champions League - in his first season at the club.

Meanwhile, Italian striker Stefano Okaka is also expected to depart Samp this summer.

The 25-year-old Okaka, who joined the club from Parma in January 2014 and scored four goals in 32 league appearances this season, is tied to the Genoa outfit for another year but has rejected a new deal, according to Ferrero.

He said: "Okaka will leave because he turned down a contract extension with us."

Samp finished seventh in Serie A and will be coached by Walter Zenga next season.

Zenga replaced Sinisa Mihajlovic, who left the club at the end of the campaign and is expected to join AC Milan.


share story