Bonham eying regular spot

BY foxsports • July 23, 2013

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has dismissed the prospect of Cristiano Ronaldo leaving the club this summer or any other, declaring the Portuguese will "end his career" in the Spanish capital.

The Portugal international has been linked with a return to Manchester United or even a switch to ambitious French champions Paris St Germain.

The 28-year-old has two years to run on his deal at Real, who paid a world record £80million fee to prise him away from United in 2009, but courted speculation over his future recently by revealing that he misses English football.

However, his former boss at Real, Jose Mourinho, insists there is no chance the player will leave the Bernabeu this summer, with that view shared by his successor Carlo Ancelotti.

And speaking to French newspaper L'Equipe, Perez underlined the club's determination to hold on to their prize asset.

"Cristiano Ronaldo is the cornerstone of our project," Perez said.

"He's the world's greatest player and I can now say that he will end his career at Real Madrid.

"We haven't received any offer for Cristiano Ronaldo."

Perez also poured cold water on speculation linking Ancelotti with a raid on former club PSG, who the Italian left earlier this summer after guiding them to the Ligue 1 title.

The likes of Marco Verratti and Zlatan Ibrahimovic were reported to be at the top of Ancelotti's wish-list, but Perez said: "Real Madrid will not touch any PSG player like Verratti or Ibrahimovic.

"Ancelotti didn't ask for any of their players, so maybe my words can calm PSG fans a bit."

The England Under-20 captain made his debut for his new club in a friendly against Alfreton on Monday after penning a six-month loan deal.

And he admitted the Reds boss persuaded him to make the move to League One.

Coady told The Star: "Brendan really recommended that I came here, he was really pushing through the move.

"When he let me know United were interested he explained that I'd learn so much from playing under David Weir.

"I spoke to the Everton lads I know back home who worked with him (Weir) during his time at Goodison (Park) and they all said he's a brilliant coach.

"Brendan didn't have to persuade me to come but he did offer me the chance to go on pre-season with Liverpool to Australia and the Far East.

"But as soon as I knew what was happening, I wanted to join up with United straight away and get to know the lads."

Coady, who can play in defence and midfield, has made two appearances for Liverpool.

The 19-year-old joined the Bees from Watford this summer and came on for the injured Moore during last week's friendly against Millwall.

Moore enjoyed a superb campaign last season as Brentford narrowly missed out on promotion and has been linked with a switch to a higher division.

But Bonham insists he did not move to Griffin Park just to make up the numbers and hopes to earn a chance in Uwe Rosler's first XI.

"Simon did great last year, he's a great keeper but I definitely feel like I can push him and hopefully if I'm doing well I'll get a chance," he said.

"Obviously something could happen like it did against Millwall and I have to be ready."


share