Anzhi dismisses Eto'o return to Inter
Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala have dismissed speculation linking star striker Samuel Eto'o with a return to Inter Milan on a short-term loan deal.
The Italian media on Thursday suggested the Cameroon frontman had offered to move back to the San Siro when the Russian championship takes a break in January and February.
"It's impossible to imagine such a scenario, not even in your worst nightmare," Anzhi general director German Chistiakov said in quotes reported by La Gazzetta dello Sport.
"At that time mentioned, Eto'o will be preparing for the season with Anzhi and he will do so with all of his professionalism."
Former Roma coach Luciano Spalletti, currently in charge of Anzhi's Russian Premier League rivals Zenit St Petersburg, laughed off the rumours.
"This story is just journalistic invention," Spalletti said. "It would be difficult for such a move to be done and I don't think it could be done.
"It would also be an admission of an error by Inter.
"Signing Eto'o would mean that the club doesn't have faith in their current players."
Eto'o left Inter in the summer to join Anzhi in a £20million deal.
His sale came as a surprise to many, as the 30-year-old was the team's top scorer last season, netting 37 goals in all competitions and helping the club win the Coppa Italia.
Inter have struggled since the departure of Eto'o and are currently 17th in the standings with four points from their first five league games - their worst start in Serie A in 28 years.
The Nerazzurri sacked coach Gianpiero Gasperini last month and appointed Claudio Ranieri as his replacement, and Eto'o recently admitted he would relish the chance to work under the Italian one day.
"He wanted me at Chelsea and at Juve," Eto'o said. "It's a pity that I have not been able to work with him yet.
"Ranieri is a great coach and I'm happy that Inter chose him.
"I'm certain he will do well at Inter."
Eto'o has scored three goals in six appearances for Anzhi so far
this season and is under contract until June 2014.