Team USA calls off match in Egypt

BY foxsports • January 31, 2011

US Soccer announced Monday that the Feb. 9 match against Egypt in Cairo will be canceled due to the unrest that has gripped the country since last week.

“We were excited about the opportunity to play against Egypt, but due to the current situation all parties agreed it was best to cancel the match,” said US Soccer President Sunil Gulati.

“We appreciate the efforts of the Egyptian Football Association and the US State Department as we worked through this situation,” he added.

US Soccer said it will not set up a new match for Feb. 9.

Team USA next faces Argentina March 26 in East Rutherford, N.J., then plays three days later against Paraguay in Nashville.

Protests have raged throughout Egypt for the past week, leaving at least 125 people dead and threatening to topple the government of President Hosni Mubarak.
 


share story