Nebraska holds off Cincinnati 56-55 in 2 OT

BY foxsports • December 14, 2014

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Benny Parker's pull-up jumper gave Nebraska the lead with 1:03 left, and the Cornhuskers survived a scrambling finish to defeat Cincinnati 56-55 in double overtime Saturday night.

The Cornhuskers (6-3) bounced back from a stinging loss to transitioning Division I team Incarnate Word with a rough-and-tumble victory against a Cincinnati team that was playing its first true road game.

Terran Petteway and Shavon Shields scored 13 points apiece to lead Nebraska. Troy Caupain had 13 points, six assists and a career-high five steals for the Bearcats (6-2).

Nebraska somehow won after making only four field goals after the 11:54 mark in the second half and committing a season-high 22 turnovers.

Parker's winning shot came after Shields had launched an air ball that teammate Tai Webster rebounded. Webster got the ball to Parker, who gave the Huskers a one-point lead.

Cincinnati had a chance to tie or take the lead, but Octavius Ellis missed two free throws with 53.3 seconds left.

After David Rivers missed a shot on the other end, Kevin Johnson missed a 3-pointer and Shields rebounded to secure Nebraska's first win in three games.

The teams combined for 36 field goals and 40 turnovers. The Huskers shot 33 percent, the Bearcats 32 percent.

Cincinnati had a good opportunity to win it in the first overtime after Jermaine Sanders made the first of two free throws to give the Bearcats a 52-50 lead with 13.7 seconds left. But Sanders foolishly fouled Shields going for the rebound of the missed foul shot, and Shields made both free throws to tie it.

David Rivers blocked Caupain's shot from under the basket to force the second overtime.

The Huskers, who went nine minutes without a field goal during a stretch of the second half, led 44-42 with 55 seconds left in regulation. Petteway had missed 3-pointer, but he got the ball right back and scored after Walter Pitchford made a huge offensive rebound. But Sanders fed Gary Clark for a dunk on the other end that tied it 44-all.

Petteway, with Deshaun Morman in his face, launched a long 3-pointer that brushed the bottom of the basket twine and landed out of bounds. That gave Cincinnati the ball with 4.2 seconds left. Caupain's baseball pass sailed over Ellis, giving Nebraska the ball under the basket, but the Huskers couldn't get off a shot before the buzzer.

share story