Kenton's Mauk wins SEC football award
Former Ohio Mr. Football Maty Mauk is taking the SEC by storm.
A four-star recruit from Kenton, Mauk is undefeated as a starter after leading Missouri past Florida last Saturday in the redshirt freshman's first college start. The performance was good enough to earn him recognition as the conference freshen of the week.
FRESHMAN: Maty Mauk, QB, Missouri
• Thrown into the fire on Saturday, as he made his first-ever collegiate start subbing for injured senior captain James Franklin. Mauk not only acquitted himself nicely, he had one heck of a day, as he threw for 295 yards and a touchdown (with one interception), while also adding a rushing touchdown to seal the game in the fourth quarter, as he led the Tigers to a 36-17 win over #22 Florida.
• Mauk led the Tiger offense to a 500-yard and 36-point day against the vaunted Florida defense, which came into Saturday’s game ranked 3rd in the NCAA in total defense (allowing 235.3 yards per game coming in) and 4th in the NCAA in scoring defense (allowing just 13.0 points per game coming in).
• Finished the day 18-of-36 passing for 295 yards and added 15 yards rushing on 6 carries.
• Florida entered the game toting the nation’s #3-ranked pass defense (152.0 yards per game) and the nation’s #2-ranked pass efficiency defense.
• It took the redshirt freshman all of two plays, a 41-yard pass to L'Damian Washington and a 20-yard pass to Bud Sasser (TD), to put the Tigers in front 7-0 just 22 seconds into the contest.
• Mauk finished the game throwing for 295 yards vs. Florida, the most the Gators have allowed in a game all season.
For more on Mauk's story, check out Zac Jackson's feature from last week.