Bauer given break at Reno to re-energize
PHOENIX -- The Diamondbacks have shut down Trevor Bauer temporarily in hopes the 21-year-old starting pitcher can rediscover his best stuff after a little rest.
Bauer, who was sent back to Triple-A Reno on July 18 following four mostly shaky starts in the majors, is expected to miss at least two turns in the rotation. Word of Bauer's break came first from the Reno Gazette Journal, which got the news from Reno manager Brett Butler.
Butler said the decision to rest Bauer was not injury related. It's not uncommon for young pitchers to get a break later in the minor league season, and in Bauer's case the break might be a little more necessary with the whirlwind month he has had.
The D-backs called up Bauer on June 28 to make his major league debut after Daniel Hudson hit the disabled list. He made one solid start in four outings but only once pitched more than four innings and compiled a 1-2 record with a 6.06 ERA.
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said ahe had limited information on Bauer's break.
"My guess is they're just trying to back him off a little bit, get him straightened out and maybe get a little bit of energy back to see if we can't get the ball come out of his arm like it was a little bit earlier in the year," Gibson said.
"It's quite different where he was a year ago and where he's at today. And the requirements to consistently be able to throw every fifth day -- it's a learning process."
Bauer is 4-0 with a 2.90 ERA for Reno and 11-1 with a 2.30 ERA overall in the minors this season.