49ers' Ray McDonald investigated on suspicion of sexual assault
Northern California authorities said Wednesday that they are investigating San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Ray McDonald on suspicion of sexual assault.
San Jose Police Department Sgt. Heather Randol said detectives searched McDonald's San Jose home.
Randol said an area hospital notified police late Tuesday night that a woman was seeking treatment.
"The victim alleged she was possibly sexually assaulted a day prior," Randol said. "Based on preliminary investigation, detectives secured a search warrant and served it at the alleged suspect's residence in San Jose."
Randol didn't immediately respond to follow up questions seeking to clarify the reference to the alleged victim saying she was "possibly sexually assaulted."
No arrests have been made or charges filed.
McDonald could not be immediately reached for comment. San Francisco 49ers spokesman Dan Beckler didn't immediately return a phone call.
This is the second time in recent months that McDonald has been the subject of a police investigation.
Last month, the Santa Clara County district attorney's office announced that it declined to file charges against the defensive lineman in a domestic violence investigation stemming from his Aug. 31 arrest.
Prosecutors cited conflicting versions of what happened, a lack of verifiable eyewitnesses and a lack of cooperation by the alleged victim, McDonald's fiancee.
McDonald has played all season despite pressure on the 49ers to bench him.
McDonald said in November that he and his fiancee remain together and are working to strengthen their relationship.
"We love each other," McDonald said at the time.