Conforto back with Mets; Nieuwenhuis placed on 15-day DL
NEW YORK (AP) Michael Conforto's minor league assignment lasted all of one day.
The New York Mets recalled their top hitting prospect from Triple-A Las Vegas when fellow outfielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis was placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with discomfort in his neck and left shoulder.
Conforto was optioned to Las Vegas on Saturday to make room for slugger Yoenis Cespedes, acquired Friday in a trade-deadline deal with Detroit. But the rookie never even left New York, and he was back on the big league roster before Sunday night's series finale against Washington.
The addition of Cespedes created a bit of a logjam in the outfield, where Gold Glove center fielder Juan Lagares (.280 on-base percentage) has been pushed to the bench as the Mets seek more offense.
Conforto, called up from Double-A Binghamton last month, was 4 for 19 (.211) with two doubles, three walks and five runs in six games with the Mets. He had three RBIs.
New York manager Terry Collins said he plans to use the 22-year-old left fielder during the upcoming series in Miami.
''He wouldn't be here if he's not going to play,'' Collins said.
Nieuwenhuis is hitting .203 with three homers (all in one game) and 12 RBIs in 79 at-bats for the Mets this season. He also appeared in 10 games with the Los Angeles Angels.
In another move that was completed Saturday, the Mets signed right-hander Tim Stauffer to a minor league contract and assigned him to Las Vegas.