Report: Penn St. paid for sleepover camps
Penn State University received almost $250,000 for a series of sleepover camps in 2008 and 2009 run by the charity group founded by Jerry Sandusky — years after ex-athletic director Tim Curley imposed a ban on the accused child molester from entering the school's sports facilities and main campus.
Financial records obtained by FOXNews.com show $124,587 was given to Penn State by The Second Mile in 2009. The year before, in 2008, the university received $119,592 from The Second Mile. The money is listed under "food and lodging" in charity records, and officials said the payments were made on a series of week-long sleepover camps.
Penn State apparently took money for the camps months after the mother of a high school freshman contacted authorities in the spring of 2008 saying her son had been abused by Sandusky. That allegation kick-started the grand jury investigation that this month indicted Sandusky on 40 counts of child sex abuse charges.
It is not clear if Sandusky, who was still director of The Second Mile in 2008 before the group cut ties with him, participated in the camps. The Second Mile officials declined requests to answer questions about Sandusky's involvement.
But Sandusky was still an "active" director of The Second Mile and earned $57,000 in The Second Mile's 2008 fiscal year, which ended Aug. 31, 2008. Three months later, in November, Sandusky told The Second Mile he was under investigation, and the charity banned him from activities with children, according to a recent statement by Jack Raykovitz, the charity's former CEO who resigned on Sunday.
Sandusky also held sleepover football camps for boys, run through his own corporation, Sandusky Associates Inc., at satellite Penn State campuses all over the state, even after he was turned out from The Second Mile.
When asked for details about money paid to Penn State in 2008, the university's associate vice president for finance and business, Daniel Sieminski, told FOXNews.com via email that the funds "paid for all the food, lodging and miscellaneous expenses incurred by the University for these camps."
The charity's new CEO, David Woodle, did not reply to questions sent by email.
The Second Mile and Penn State officials have both denied they were associated with the Sandusky Association football sleepover camps for boys in grades four to nine — though they were held on Penn State campuses in 2008, according to a flyer still posted on the website of the university's Erie campus.
Sandusky ran the same football sleepover camps on Penn State campuses in 2009, nearly a year after the charity banned him from activities with children and nearly a decade after the first reports of his alleged sex abuse surfaced.
Allegations Sandusky sexually abused children go back to at least the late 1990s, according to a grand jury report released two weeks ago. According to assistant coach Mike McQueary's grand jury testimony, Sandusky was banned from campus in 2002 after McQueary — then a graduate student — reported seeing him sodomizing a young boy in the campus showers.
McQueary said Curley also told him that he had informed The Second Mile of the allegations.
The sex-abuse scandal has so far has claimed the jobs of Curley, football coach Joe Paterno, Penn State president Graham Spanier and finance director Gary Schulz.