Report: Five-star recruit Salomon banned from Athens after guilty plea

BY foxsports • June 22, 2015

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, five-star wide receiver prospect Darnell Salomon has pleaded guilty to charges related to an incident that occurred at Georgia's "Dawg Night" recruiting camp in 2014. Salomon was accused of stealing a wallet and phone from two students in an unlocked dorm.

As part of Salomon's plea, the senior from Miami was given "first offender status" and five years of probation. The terms include a total of $405 in restitution to the students and 320 hours of community service. Salomon also must "undergo a substance abuse evaluation and any necessary treatment," Clarke County Assistant District Attorney Jeff Kwiatkowski told the Journal-Constitution.

In punishment that will have more direct football-related implications, Salomon has been banned from Athens "except to complete his community service hours." The only other exception that would allow a return to Athens would be a football game as a member of an opposing team.

Salamon, the fourth-ranked receiver nationally, also was told to write an apology letter to Georgia head coach Mark Richt, which can be read here

A Georgia spokesman said last year after the incident that the Bulldogs were no longer recruiting Salomon.

(h/t Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Image Credit: Dale Zanine, USA TODAY Sports


in this topic

share story