ABC to interview Sandusky abuse case's Victim 1
ABC will interview the young man whose 2009 allegations of sexual abuse led to the Penn State scandal and the criminal conviction of former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky.
Attorney Michael Boni, who represents the teenager known in court papers as Victim 1, said Wednesday that ABC landed the first interview with his client, who has a book coming out this fall.
It's unclear when the ABC interview would air. ABC didn't immediately return a phone message left Wednesday seeking comment. The New York Post was first to report the ABC exclusive.
Sandusky was convicted in June of dozens of criminal counts of sexual abuse of 10 boys on and off campus. At age 68, he awaits sentencing, which likely will send him to prison for the rest of his life.
Victim 1 and his mother reported Sandusky to the boy's high school and the Clinton County child protective agency in November 2009. Their complaint triggered a state investigation that last year resulted in criminal charges against Sandusky and against two university officials accused of failing to report suspected child abuse and of lying to a grand jury.
According to a lawsuit that Victim 1 filed against Penn State, he met Sandusky about eight years ago, when he was 11 and was a first-year participant in a camp sponsored by Sandusky's charity, The Second Mile. In his second year, he drew Sandusky's attention and accepted invitations to spend nights at the coach's State College home and to attend professional sports events, the lawsuit said.
Sandusky was accused of fondling the boy and performing oral sex on him multiple times over a period of several years.
Sandusky, who is jailed, didn't testify at trial but maintains his innocence. He has acknowledged he showered with boys but denied molesting them. His wife, Dottie Sandusky, testified that she never saw him doing anything inappropriate with boys he took to their home.