Wake Forest 69, UNC-Greensboro 67

Published Dec. 16, 2010 3:24 a.m. ET

Travis McKie scored 16 points and pulled down 14 rebounds and Wake Forest rallied late to beat North Carolina-Greensboro 69-67 on Wednesday night.

J.T. Terrell added 14 points and Ari Stewart 12 for the Demon Deacons (6-4), who led by as many as eight points, only to see the Spartans rally and take brief leads.

Kyle Randall scored 15 points and Korey Van Dussen had 14 for the winless Spartans (0-9), including a 3-pointer with 5:24 left that gave UNC Greensboro its last lead at 60-59.

But Stewart hit a pair of free throws 28 seconds later to put Wake Forest back in the lead to stay.

Aloysius Henry added 12 points and Brandon Evans had 11 for UNC Greensboro, which is 0-5 against the Demon Deacons.

The loss also continued the Spartans' futility against the bigger Atlantic Coast Conference.

UNC Greensboro is 1-39 lifetime and 0-4 this season against ACC teams with three more games remaining, including a Dec. 29 meeting against No. 1 Duke at the Greensboro Coliseum.


However, the Spartans didn't make things easy on Wake Forest, which was coming off an embarrassing 81-69 loss to UNC Wilmington.

UNC Greensboro rallied from an eight-point deficit to tie the score three times in the first half, the last at 23-23 on Evans' 3-pointer with 8:04 left. The Spartans would then take their first lead - 24-23 - less than a minute later on Henry's free throw.

But C.J. Harris put Wake Forest back on top with a pair of free throws with 6:25 remaining, and Clark's 3-pointer with 1:04 left gave the Demon Deacons a 36-30 lead at the halftime break.

Wake Forest built another eight-point lead midway through the second half, going up 53-45 on a pair of Harris free throws with 11:19 left.

However, UNC Greensboro rallied to take its second lead of the game, going ahead 55-53 on Van Dussen's 3-pointer with 9:04 remaining.

After the Demon Deacons regained the lead, the Spartans had a chance to tie the score again, with Randall hitting an acrobatic layup and drawing a foul with 12.1 seconds left to make the score 68-67. But Randall missed the free throw, and after McKie hit a free throw 3 seconds later, lost control of the ball while driving to the basket.