Calzaghe admits to using cocaine since retiring

BY foxsports • March 28, 2010

Retired boxing world champion Joe Calzaghe admitted Sunday he had used cocaine since quitting the sport.

The 38-year-old Welshman, who retired in February last year undefeated in 46 professional fights, made the admission in a statement responding to an undercover investigation conducted by a British tabloid newspaper.

``I very much regret my occasional use of cocaine in what have sometimes been the long days since my retirement from the ring,'' Calzaghe said. ``I am fully aware of the bad example it sets to other people and particularly to youngsters and I apologize to my family, friends and fans. It is not a major problem in my life but it is something which I am actively addressing.''

The News of the World reporters posed as potential sponsors to gain access to set up meetings with Calzaghe, and recorded him talking about drugs.

``Many of the other conversations reported to have taken place simply involve men joshing or shooting the breeze over a drink,'' Calzaghe said. ``While some statements are either untrue or exaggerations I am, naturally, sorry for any embarrassment their publication may cause to entirely blameless third parties.''

The former undisputed super-middleweight world champion has twice been honored by Queen Elizabeth II.

The British monarch has awarded him the Commander of the Order of the British Empire and the Member of the Order of the British Empire.

``I am deeply sorry if anyone feels let down,'' Calzaghe said. ``And I will make sure that nothing like it happens again.''


share story