Wild weather leads to rainout at Rangers Ballpark

ARLINGTON, Texas – Give the Texas Rangers grounds crew an A for effort but Mother Nature had other plans Wednesday night at Rangers Ballpark.

A storm that blew through Rangers Ballpark a little more than an hour before the start of the game against Arizona proved to be too much for the works at the ballpark to overcome as the game was postponed.

No makeup date has been set yet, but August 15th is a possibility. The teams will meet Thursday with Justin Grimm and Brandon McCarthy still the scheduled starters.

Fans with tickets for Wednesday’s game are encouraged to hold onto them until a makeup date is scheduled.

The quick-moving storm made it difficult for the grounds crew to get the tarp in place despite the help of ballpark security. The system broke trees outside the ballpark and also knocked over portable bathrooms.

Texas manager Ron Washington, Arizona manager Kirk Gibson, Texas general manager Jon Daniels and CEO Nolan Ryan inspected the field before the game was called just after 8 p.m. It’s the first rainout at the ballpark since last Sept. 29.

“Third base and the third-base line was just entirely too soft,” Texas manager Ron Washington said. “Out of the box down the first-base line, halfway where the umpire’s box is, it’s soft too. When I saw it (the rain) I was watching them go under the tarp bringing the stuff that on the field out. I didn’t see the rain or the wind blow.”

The Texas players didn’t see what happened either because they were in the clubhouse.

Washington knows the ballpark staff did all it could to get the game in.

“I’ve never seen a crew go underneath the tarp to take the stuff off the field,” Washington said. “They worked their butts off to get that field ready. It’s just impossible right now. You can’t hurt anyone.”

The rainout allow Washington to tinker with the rotation for the weekend series against Kansas City. The Rangers will go with Derek Holland Friday, Nick Tepesch Saturday and Yu Darvish Sunday. Martin Perez was originally slated to start the Saturday game but will now stay with Triple A Round Rock.