Honoring a Legacy: FOX Sports South, FOX Sports Southeast to commemorate 100th anniversary of Negro League Baseball
ATLANTA – FOX Sports South and FOX Sports Southeast will commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Negro Leagues from Aug. 16-22 with a weeklong series honoring the history and lasting impact of the Leagues and its players on baseball and culture. The series will air inside of Braves LIVE pregame shows ahead of Atlanta Braves telecasts throughout the week, launching Sunday, Aug. 16, at 12:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports South (prior to the Braves vs. Marlins telecast).
Hosted by FOX Sports’ Mike “Stinger” Glenn, Nick Green and Jerome Jurenovich, this in-depth exploration will include an impressive slate of Negro Leagues players, historians, and community builders, highlighted by a discussion with living players and a vignette series in tribute to players from the South, with commentary and historical perspective from renowned experts.
The celebration will culminate Saturday, August 22, with events from Hank Aaron Weekend and a look back to highlights of Hank Aaron Week and the Hank Aaron Invitational Showcase Game from 2019.
Listed below are featured participants along with a detailed schedule of content.
Featured Negro Leagues Players
Cool Papa Bell*
Historians & Community Builders
Bob Kendrick – President, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum – Kansas City, MO
Lauren Meyer – Executive Producer/Director, The Other Boys of Summer – a documentary about racism, segregation and civil rights in America, told through the lives of Negro Leagues players.
Dr. Layton Revel – President, Center for Negro Baseball League Research – Carrollton, TX
C.J. & Kelli Stewart – Founder & Executive Director, L.E.A.D. (Launch, Expose, Advise, Direct) – an Atlanta-based nonprofit using baseball to inspire Black youth to live sustainable lives of significance.
Honoring a Legacy: 100th Anniversary of the Negro Leagues
August 16-22 on FOX Sports South & FOX Sports Southeast
Sunday, August 16 – 12:30 p.m. ET, FOX Sports South
- Where it All Began: a discussion around the relevance of the Negro Leagues to today’s game, as told by Lauren Meyer, executive producer/director of the acclaimed documentary The Other Boys of Summer, and Bob Kendrick, president of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Hosted by Nick Green.
- Hometown Tribute: Satchel Paige (Mobile, AL)
Monday, August 17 – 6:30 p.m. ET, FOX Sports Southeast
- Pipeline to the Leagues: a look at the Negro Southern League and its connection to growth of the Negro Leagues, featuring Dr. Layton Revel, president of the Center for Negro Baseball League Research. Hosted by Mike Glenn.
- Hometown Tribute: Cool Papa Bell (Starkville, MS)
Tuesday, August 18 – 6:30 p.m. ET, FOX Sports Southeast
- The Legacy of Legends: a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness history with a conversation among Negro Southern League players, featuring Sam Allen (Kansas City Monarchs), Reginald Howard (Indianapolis Clowns), and Larry LeGrande (Memphis Red Sox, Detroit Stars, Kansas City Monarchs). Hosted by Jerome Jurenovich.
- Hometown Tribute: Josh Gibson (Buena Vista, GA)
Wednesday, August 19 – 6:30 p.m. ET, FOX Sports Southeast
- Memories from the Leagues: A look at rare memorabilia from the Negro Leagues and its historical significance, presented by Mike Glenn from his personal collection.
- Hometown Tribute: Buck Leonard (Rocky Mount, NC)
Friday, August 21 – 6:30 p.m. ET, FOX Sports South
- The Next Generation: a discussion with L.E.A.D. founders C.J. and Kelli Stewart on the influence of the Negro Leagues in growing baseball in the African American community.
- Hometown Tribute: Sam Jethroe (Columbus, MS)
- Kickoff to Hank Aaron Weekend
Saturday, August 22 – 6:30 p.m. ET, FOX Sports South
- Let’s Play: A dialogue between Braves alums around the movement to get more African American boys and girls to play baseball and softball, featuring Hank Aaron and Marquis Grissom, president of MGBA, hosted by Chip Caray. Coverage will also include events from Hank Aaron Weekend.
- Hometown Tribute: Hank Aaron (Mobile, AL)
Channel listings can be found here. All content will stream live on the FOX Sports GO app. Full features will be available on Twitter and YouTube. Real-time schedule updates will be available on Twitter.