Wright-Phillips denies Blades

Bolton manager Dougie Freedman remained upbeat despite the 3-2

defeat to fellow promotion hopefuls Leicester.

The Foxes shaded a topsy turvy encounter which saw Bolton take

an early lead with a David Ngog penalty and then fight back to

level at 2-2 with a Darren Pratley goal before eventually losing

out to Jeff Schlupp’s 79th-minute goal.

Freedman said: “What a fantastic game of football that was. What

a great advert for the Championship.

“A neutral would have thoroughly enjoyed it and I was no

different. It was a frantic end-to-end game which was full of

spirit from both sides.

“It was Leicester’s night in the end but I know what I have in

that dressing room – players with plenty of spirit.

“Their performance was fantastic and we created plenty of

opportunities. That kind of form and spirit in the next three games

will give us a chance to get back into the play-offs.”

The Bees substitute pounced during the closing moments of an

extraordinary match which produced three red cards and four

penalties to snatch a point for Uwe Rosler’s side.

United looked set to record their second triumph under new

manager Chris Morgan when Dave Kitson headed home following

substitute Barry Robson’s spot-kick.

But Brentford, who had taken the lead courtesy of Marcello

Trotta’s penalty, had other ideas and dragged themselves level in

the 89th minute.

The visitors were creaking under the weight of some strong

United pressure when Trotta fired them ahead from the spot

following Clayton Donaldson’s 24th-minute collision with United

goalkeeper George Long.

Michael Doyle had twice tested Brentford’s Simon Moore with

powerful efforts while Kevin McDonald also went close.

Kitson, one of five players cautioned during a tetchy

first-half, saw a low drive scrambled clear before heading Tony

McMahon’s corner wide before McDonald saw a volley fly over the

Brentford crossbar.

Brentford skipper Tony Craig saw red after tangling with Kitson

in the area but McMahon’s spot-kick rebounded back off the


Robson converted from the spot following Lee Hodson’s handball

before Harry Maguire followed Craig down the tunnel, with Sam

Saunders missing a penalty.

Although Kitson’s header looked to have settled the match in

United’s favour, Wright-Phillips pounced at the death after

Donaldson had also been dismissed.