Wotherspoon wins it for Hibs

Cup finalists Hibernian finished their league campaign in

seventh place after a header from substitute David Wotherspoon gave

them a 1-0 win over already-relegated Dundee.

Hosts Hibs created plenty of chances but were unable to convert

any of them and looked set for frustration until Wotherspoon struck

11 minutes from time to set them up nicely for their date with

Celtic at Hampden Park next weekend.

Easter Road passed a late pitch inspection after heavy rain and

Leigh Griffiths proved to be the chief threat for the hosts,

putting a low volley wide of the target early on.

Alex Harris also looked lively for Hibernian and he won a corner

which Griffiths sent over and Jordon Forster headed over the


Dundee goalkeeper Steven Simonsen then pulled off a fine save to

deny Griffiths and the striker’s follow-up shot seemed to be

blocked by a Dundee arm, but the referee waved play on.

Harris was next to try his luck for the dominant hosts but he

shot straight at Simonsen after making room for himself on the edge

of the box.

Griffiths leads charge

The second-half began in similar vein to the first, with the

hosts charging forward, led by Griffiths.

The on-loan Wolves man sent over a lovely cross from the left

but it flashed across the face of goal, with Ross Caldwell not

quite able to connect.

Dundee then began to pose a threat and Forster produced a key

clearance, before Lewis Toshney shot over when quite


But Hibs were soon in charge once again and Griffiths volleyed

just wide after latching onto a great pass from Paul Hanlon, before

Harris went on a mazy run and then teed up Lewis Stevenson, who

blazed high and wide from close range.

Dundee were eager to end on a high themselves, however, and Ryan

Conroy was unlucky to see a superb low volley go just wide of the

post after he had got on the end of a Gary Harkins cross.

But it was Hibernian who got the breakthrough, even though both

Griffiths and Harris had been substituted.

Stevenson crossed from the left and, just a few minutes after

coming on, Wotherspoon was on hand to find the target with a

powerful header from 16 yards out which secured maximum points for


Griffiths therefore finished a winner on his final start at

Easter Road before he returns to Wolves after almost two years on


And beaten Dundee may yet get a reprieve from the drop because

the SPL board are meeting on Monday to decide if Hearts should

receive an 18 point deduction because of the insolvency of their

majority owners UBIG.