Wolves hold on to sink Foxes

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Richard Stearman scored to help Wolves

resist Leicester’s fightback and claim a 2-1 Championship victory

at Molineux.

The Foxes’ defending from set-pieces was their downfall in the

first period as Ebanks-Blake (13) and Stearman (21) both benefited

from lackadaisical marking inside the first quarter of the


To their credit, the visitors probed diligently for a way back

into the all-midlands affair and found one courtesy of Paul

Konchesky’s magnificent 70th minute long-range shot.

They should have claimed a point when substitute Martin Waghorn

struck the post from inside the area with 11 minutes remaining.

Victory was only Wolves’ second in 18 league encounters

following relegation from the Premier League last season, while

Leicester have now lost all three outings on their travels this


Wolves midfielder Tongo Doumbia and Konchesky set the tone with

robust challenges that surprisingly escaped punishment from referee

Stuart Attwell.

Leicester’s first opening of the match fell to Andy King and

Wolves had a sprawled Stearman to thank for turning his close-range

effort behind.

The hosts were ahead shortly afterwards when Ebanks-Blake

drifted into space at the far post to nod home Bakary Sako’s


In the 20th minute Foxes defender Liam Moore ceded possession to

Kevin Doyle and the Republic of Ireland international cut in to

fire goalwards from 20 yards, drawing a splendid save from Kasper

Schmeichel at full stretch.

From the resulting corner Leicester’s marking left much to be

desired once more, with Ritchie de Laet the main culprit as

Stearman smashed home via a touch from Schmeichel and the underside

of the bar.

England Under-21 international Ben Marshall almost hit back for

City after the half hour, firing goalwards to draw a save from Carl

Ikeme that mirrored that of his counterpart from Doyle.

Doyle was thwarted first by Schmeichel and then by Foxes

defender Wes Morgan after being played in down the left channel by

strike partner Ebanks-Blake, but David Nugent might have pulled a

goal back a minute before half time when he latched on to Lloyd

Dyer’s throughball and slashed wide.

Nugent was off target once more as the hour approached, miscuing

a header from De Laet’s right-wing cross before Nigel Pearson’s men

reduced the arrears in spectacular fashion.

There seemed to be little danger when Konchesky received the

ball 30 yards from goal and lashed an unstoppable drive into the

top corner.

The game developed an end-to-end feel as Wolves subscribed to

the idea that the best way to protect their advantage was by

extending it.

In the 77th minute Nugent nodded back across goal and

agonisingly wide as the enterprising De Laet found joy down the

Wolves left once more.

They came even closer moments later when substitute Waghorn

collected a pass from fellow sub Anthony Knockaert to drill against

the foot of the post.