William witnesses Seasiders win

Varney set up a thrilling Premier League contest with a stunning

volley after just three minutes at Bloomfield Road and Harewood

added a second just before the interval. Kevin Doyle set up a tense

finish after Nenad Milijas hit the post for Wolves in a fine

second-half response but the hosts held on. Prince William, taking

time out from his wedding preparations, was among the 15,922 crowd

with a number of his friends. He may have enjoyed the game more

than the Wolves supporters who, despite their side’s spirited

showing after the break, booed their team off the field. The result

leaves them entrenched in the bottom three after a run of nine

defeats in 11 games. Blackpool had gone into the game with the

worst home record in the league but they looked sprightly from the

onset against the team with the worst away form. Wolves were also

looking to keep a clean sheet for the first time this season but

their plans were in tatters almost as soon as the game had started.

Blackpool were buoyed by the presence of inspirational captain

Charlie Adam after an injury scare but their stunning opener had

nothing to do with the Scot’s creativity. Varney, wide on the left,

chested a long Ian Evatt ball past Kevin Foley and watched it

bounce before unleashing an inch-perfect 25-yard shot which looped

over Marcus Hahnemann and dipped under the crossbar. The visitors

tried to respond but George Elokobi’s shot was blocked. Harewood

tested Hahnemann with a 30-yard shot but the American saved

comfortably low down. Wolves began to enjoy some possession but

Blackpool got numbers back. Adam headed away a corner from under

his crossbar and goalkeeper Richard Kingson, playing in place of

injured first choice Matt Gilks, was not worried by a header from

Christophe Berra. Doyle also headed wide of the post for Mick

McCarthy’s side. McCarthy was clearly not happy with the

performance of Foley, who had been shifted infield soon after

Varney’s goal with Michael Mancienne moving to right-back. With

less than half an hour gone Foley was taken off by McCarthy and

replaced by Milijas. Hahnemann had a moment of uncertainty when he

spilled a long-range Evatt shot but there was no danger and he

recovered. The incident failed to jolt the keeper into life and

another lapse of concentration allowed Blackpool to double their

lead. Hahnemann came out to claim a David Vaughan corner but missed

the ball and Varney headed down. Harewood was on hand to stab

towards goal and the ball found its way across the line despite the

last-ditch efforts of Matt Jarvis. The visiting fans turned their

frustration on the team and chanted, ‘What a load of rubbish’ at

half-time. As a result, Wolves started the second period in

determined fashion but David Jones sliced a good chance wide.

Blackpool continued to attack themselves and DJ Campbell beat Berra

in the box but failed to find anyone with his cross. The approach

of both sides made for a really open contest and Doyle twice went

close, first dragging a shot across goal and then picking out

Kingson. Milijas went even closer after a powerful run down the

middle, striking a left-foot shot which beat Kingson to his left

but rebounded to safety off the post. Milijas tried his luck again

moments later but blazed over. Blackpool pieced together another

good move with Adam playing Varney through but the on-loan Derby

forward shot narrowly wide. Jarvis pulled the ball back for

substitute Sylvan Ebanks-Blake in the six-yard box but it seemed

Wolves’ luck was out as Vaughan deflected his shot wide. Wolves

continued to press and were finally rewarded five minutes from time

as Doyle headed home at the far post from an Elokobi cross. Jones

went down in the area as Wolves pushed for an equaliser in the

dying moments but referee Mark Clattenburg was unimpressed.

Campbell spotted Hahnemann out of goal in injury time but his

effort from inside his own half stopped short. Wolves had time to

win one last corner but the whistle blew as soon as it was taken.