Wednesday sunk by slick City

Ben Marshall scored one goal and set up another on his return to

Hillsborough as Leicester beat struggling Sheffield Wednesday 2-0

in the Championship.

Marshall enjoyed a successful loan spell with the Owls last

season as they secured promotion to the second tier, but the winger

showed no room for sentiment as he set up Danny Drinkwater for the

opening goal before doubling Leicester’s lead himself after the


The former Stoke man was then giving a standing ovation by both

sets of supporters when he was substituted by Foxes boss Nigel

Pearson, who is also held in high regard at Hillsborough after

spending seven years with the Owls in his playing days.

Wednesday gave the ball away far too easily in the first half

and Marshall tried his luck from 20 yards but failed to test Chris


The home side looked short of confidence and it needed a

desperate last-ditch tackle from Martin Taylor to prevent Martyn

Waghorn from racing clear after a defensive mix-up.

An unmarked Andy King headed wide when Waghorn picked him out

with a pin-point free-kick after 38 minutes, but two minutes later

the Foxes were in front.

Wednesday felt they should have had a free-kick when Jay

Bothroyd went down on the halfway line but referee Paul Tierney saw

nothing amiss and Drinkwater played a neat one-two with Marshall

before firing just inside the far post with a clinical finish.

Leicester carried on where they left off after break and

Kirkland was called into action to palm Marshall’s shot around the

near post.

Foxes skipper Wes Morgan should have doubled his side’s lead 12

minutes into the second half when he rose highest to meet Waghorn’s

inviting corner but the big centre-back headed over the


It was all one-way traffic and Kirkland produced a fine save to

tip the impressive Waghorn’s venomous left-foot strike over the


Leicester were toying with the Owls and it was only a matter of

time before they added a second goal, which duly came 15 minutes

from time when Marshall picked his spot with a measured left-foot

finish from the right side of the penalty area, which found the far

corner of the net.

Waghorn was unfortunate not to reward his fine performance with

a goal when his left-foot shot struck the bar and the Owls faithful

voiced their disapproval at the final whistle after another

miserable afternoon.