WBA fightback stuns United, Spurs win

Javier Hernandez was handed his second league start as United boss

Sir Alex Ferguson chose to leave Rooney on the bench after he

contradicted his manager over an apparent ankle injury while on

England duty in midweek. The 24-year-old watched on as the Mexican

forward pounced quickly to tap home after Scott Carson spilled

Nani’s fifth minute free-kick at Old Trafford. The Portuguese made

no mistake from 12 yards to give United a 2-0 half time lead but

the Baggies, who had beaten Arsenal at the Emirates last month, hit

back with two quickfire second half goals. First Chris Brunt’s free

kick went in off Patrice Evra before Somen Tchoyi tapped in from

six yards after Edwin van der Saar dropped a Brunt cross under no

pressure. The result means the Red Devils stay in third but could

find themselves one place lower if Manchester City beat Blackpool

on Sunday. Arsenal had to come from behind to get back to winning

ways with a 2-1 victory over Birmingham at the Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners looked to be heading towards a damaging third

successive defeat when Nikola Zigic gave Birmingham a shock lead

with a 33rd-minute header. But Samir Nasri’s controversial penalty,

which came after Marouane Chamakh went down under little pressure

from Scott Dann, and a strike from the Moroccan hitman, sealed the

victory which moves Arsene Wenger’s side into second. Jack Wilshere

was dismissed for a straight red at the death. Mark Noble saved

Robert Green’s blushes as he scored a second-half penalty to

salvage a 1-1 draw for West Ham against relegation rivals Wolves at

Molineux. Green, who was recalled by England manager Fabio Capello

last week, had shown signs of recovery from his horrendous blunder

at the World Cup in the Hammers’ previous two matches, but his

failure to clear a routine corner handed Matt Jarvis an easy tap-in

to put Mick McCarthy’s side ahead. Noble then levelled from the

spot after Kevin Foley fouled Victor Obinna in the Wolves box to

ensure that rock bottom Hammers remain level on points with the

Midlanders. Tom Huddlestone’s controversial second-half strike

ended Fulham’s unbeaten record as Tottenham ran out 2-1 winners at

Craven Cottage. Roman Pavlyuchenko tapped in to restore parity in

the 31st minute after Diomansy Kamara’s first of the season had put

Fulham ahead just seconds earlier. Fulham pushed for a winner but

the game was decided by Huddlestone’s 30-yard strike, which the

Cottagers disputed after William Gallas appeared to be in an

offside position as the ball went in. A Fabricio Coloccini goal

deep into injury time gave Newcastle a 2-2 draw against Wigan at St

James’ Park. Charles N’Zogbia, who joined the Latics from Newcastle

last year, headed Wigan ahead in the 22nd minute before he slammed

a left-foot screamer past Tim Krul to make it 2-0 a minute later.

Substitute Shola Ameobi scored his first league goal of the season

to put Chris Hughton’s side back in it before Argentina centre half

Coloccini snatched a point right at the end. Substitute Ivan

Klasnic’s strike two minutes into injury time gave Bolton a 2-1 win

over Stoke at the Reebok Stadium. Rory Delap’s first goal in over a

year had looked to have given Stoke a creditable 1-1 draw after Lee

Chung-yong’s 25-yard strike put Trotters ahead. But Klasnic tapped

in from six yards before being sent off for a second yellow card in

the dying seconds.