Urawa Reds return to winners circle in ACL

The former champions Urawa Reds scored three second-half goals

in a 4-1 Group F win over Thailand’s Muangthong United on Tuesday

to register their first victory in the Asian Champions League since

2008 while tournament newcomer Tractorsazi of Iran remained

undefeated after a 3-3 draw with Qatar’s El Jaish.

Yosuke Kashiwagi opened the scoring for the 2007 champions in

the eighth minute and Urawa got an added advantage when Muangthong

defender Piyaphon Buntao was sent off after collecting his second

yellow card, leaving the visitors with 10 men for the last


Kunimitsu Sekiguchi doubled the lead in the 64th minute with a

shot from the left side before a header from Genki Haraguchi and an

own goal from Thritthi Nonsrichai extended Urawa’s lead to 4-0.

Siaka Dagno scored a late consolation goal for the Thai


In the other Group F match, striker Muriqui scored a 64th-minute

equalizer for Chinese Super League champion Guangzhou Evergrande to

secure a 1-1 draw with Jeonbuk Motos of South Korea.

Marcello Lippi’s Guangzhou squad, which opened with a 3-0 win

over Urawa Reds two weeks ago, leads the group with four


There were two 0-0 draws in Group E, with China’s Jiangsu Sainty

holding J-League club Vegalta Sendai scoreless and Buriram United

and K-League champion FC Seoul maintaining their unbeaten starts

with a scoreless draw in Thailand.

Seoul opened the tournament with a 5-1 win over Jiangsu Sainty

two weeks ago, but was unable to find a breakthrough at


”We are not disappointed with the draw. We are very tired but

satisfied with the result as this is a very tough away fixture, FC

Seoul coach Choi Yong-soo said.

Tractorsazi substitute Geilson scored in stoppage time to earn a

draw against El Jaish that kept the Iranian side top of Group


Flavio Paixao gave the Iranians a 24th minute lead, only for

Wagner Ribeiro to equalize in the 35th with the first of his two

goals. Five minutes after the restart, Mehdi Seyed Salehi restored

Tractorsazi’s lead, which lasted until the 67th when Adriano

slotted home a penalty. El Jaish looked set for an unlikely victory

when Ribeiro scored in the 87th with a well-taken, left-footed

effort, but Geilson’s late header made it all-square.

In the other Group A encounter, the United Arab Emirates club Al

Jazira earned its first point of the competition with a 1-1 draw

with Saudi Arabia’s Al Shabab.

The Saudi club opened the scoring a minute before halftime, when

Argentine striker Sebastian Tagliabue picked out onrushing defender

Hassan Fallatah, who swept the ball into the corner of the net.

But five minutes before the hour mark, Al Jazira equalized

courtesy of a 40-yard (meter) strike from Khamis Esmaeel whose

long-distance ball deceived Al Shabab’s keeper Waleed Abdullah.

Uzbekistan’s Pakhtakor remained top of Group B after edging the

United Arab Emirates club Al Shabab 1-0. Pakhtakor’s Jamshid

Isakanderov scored five minutes from time to give the Uzbek

champion its second win in a row in the competition.

In the other Group B match, Saudi Arabia’s Al Ettifaq and

Qatar’s Lekhwiya played to a scoreless draw.