United beat QPR, Potters win too

A last-minute equaliser from Sebastien Bassong gave Norwich City

a hard fought 1-1 draw at Everton.

David Moyes’ side had looked good for all three points after

Steven Naismith’s goal early in the first half gave them the


But Everton never got going in the second half and it was no

surprise when Bassong headed home in the final minute.

It was a fifth draw in seven games for Moyes’ side but another

encouraging result for Norwich after last week’s defeat of

Manchester United.

Despite being without their leading light Marouane Fellaini, and

the likes of Kevin Mirallas and Phil Neville through injury,

Everton started brightly and took the lead just 12-minutes in.

New boys Thomas Hitzlsperger and Bryan Oviedo combined well down

the left as the Costa Rican broke into the box and squared for

Naismith to side-foot home.

Former Toffee John Ruddy had a busy first half producing a

string of good saves whilst Tim Howard was a virtual spectator at

the other end.

But the second half was a different story as Norwich came out

strong and Howard was suddenly asked to keep his side in the game,

saving well from Anthony Pilkington before Johnny Heitinga had to

clear off the line from Robert Snodgrass.

Everton’s only real threat in the second period came from

England full-back Leighton Baines, who was a constant thorn in

Norwich’s side.

Ruddy produced a fine save to deny Baines a wonderful individual

effort before the left-back then fired over the bar from a

free-kick on the edge of the box.

Everton looked as if they had done enough, but then in the final

minute Norwich were level. Baines gave away a free-kick 35 yards

out and Javier Garrido whipped it towards the back post where

Bassong rose to beat Howard from an acute angle.

Everton remain in fifth with the point, but they miss the chance

to close to within one point of Chelsea in fourth. Norwich remain

without a win on the road, but Chris Hughton can be more than

pleased with his side’s display on Merseyside.

New Rangers boss Redknapp watched from the Old Trafford stands

as the visitors surrendered a second-half lead en route to another


The bottom-of-the-table R’s, under the temporary guidance of

Mark Bowen, took the lead in the 52nd minute when Jamie Mackie

pounced from close range after Anders Lindegaard had pushed out

Kieron Dyer’s cross-shot.

But the London team were swiftly undone by two set-pieces, Jonny

Evans and Darren Fletcher both on target with headers from Wayne

Rooney corners, before Anderson surged forwards and set up Javier

Hernandez for a cool finish to settle matters.

Earlier, Redknapp, 65, was given a two-and-a-half-year contract

by Rangers – just 24 hours on from Mark Hughes’ sacking – but will

not take charge of the team until Tuesday’s game at Sunderland.

Victory took United back to the top of the Premier League

standings ahead of Manchester City’s trip to Chelsea on Sunday.

West Brom earlier moved up to third spot after Simon Mignolet’s

howler in the lunchtime kick-off helped the Baggies beat Sunderland

4-2 at the Stadium of Light.

The Black Cats goalkeeper gifted Shane Long the simplest of

opportunities to fire into an empty net two minutes before the

break when he allowed Chris Brunt’s pass to squirm from his


Steve Clarke’s men were already leading through Zoltan Gera’s

superb strike on the half-hour, and although the home side launched

a fightback when Craig Gardner’s 73rd-minute free-kick was

deflected home, substitute Romelu Lukaku’s late penalty looked to

have sealed a fourth successive win for the first time in the

Premier League.

Stephane Sessegnon reduced the deficit from close range with

three minutes remaining. But, after Lukaku had hit the post deep in

stoppage time, fellow substitute Marc-Antoine Fortune made sure at

the death.

In the other 3pm kick-offs, Jordi Gomez’s hat-trick spared Ali

Al Habsi’s blushes as Wigan overcame Reading 3-2, Everton and

Norwich drew 1-1 and Stoke edged Fulham 1-0.

Sean Morrison’s first goal for the Royals – a fine header into

the top corner from Nicky Shorey’s cross – had earned the visitors

an interval lead at the DW Stadium.

But Gomez equalised 13 minutes into the second period, lashing

high into the net after his initial low effort from substitute

Franco Di Santo’s cross had been parried by Adam Federici, and then

grabbed a second 10 minutes later with a superb diving header from

Jean Beausejour’s cross.

Ten minutes from time, Hal Robson-Kanu’s blocked shot looped

high into the air and Al Habsi – seemingly expecting to be put

under more pressure than he was – fumbled the ball under his

crossbar and looked on helplessly as it trickled over the line.

However, Gomez was not done, and swept home from Arouna Kone’s

pass in stoppage time to complete his treble.

There was also late drama at Goodison Park, where Sebastien

Bassong’s 90th-minute diving header from Javier Garrido’s free-kick

earned the Canaries a point. Steven Naismith had given the Toffees

a 12th-minute lead.

Finally, Charlie Adam’s 26th-minute goal secured Stoke a 1-0 win

against Fulham at the Britannia Stadium, the Scotland midfielder

the beneficiary of the knockdown after Peter Crouch comfortably

beat Philippe Senderos in the air.