Trotters thwarted by tigerish Hunt

Wanderers looked comfortable on Tuesday night after Ivan Klasnic’s

20th-minute goal and Kevin Davies’ second-half header. However,

Hunt nodded in from close range to spread panic in a defence

without a clean sheet all season and the Republic of Ireland

international’s cross-shot produced the equaliser 12 minutes from

time. Although Bolton have now taken six points from their last

four matches for manager Gary Megson, who again fans called to be

sacked, this was a huge missed opportunity. Having been out-played

for three quarters of the game Hull – who have not win at Bolton

since March 1935 – will have been satisfied with a point as they

had lost three of their last four league matches and are still to

win away this season. After 20 minutes of relatively nondescript

action Bolton took the lead out of nowhere with a typical piece of

route one football. Zat Knight’s high ball forward was knocked down

by Lee Chung-Yong, under pressure from Andy Dawson, on the edge of

the area and Klasnic took one touch before blasting a left-footed

shot past Boaz Myhill, who appeared slow to get across his goal.

The goal was the on-loan Croatian’s sixth in his last eight league

matches. Five minutes later Jussi Jaaskelainen fisted away Dawson’s

25-yard free-kick and then had to be quick off his line to beat

Jozy Altidore to Craig Fagan’s through ball. Hunt should have

equalised in the 35th minute when Jaaskelainen fumbled a cross

under pressure and the ball bounced off Gretar Steinsson to the

Hull midfielder but his poorly directed close-range header glanced

the Bolton defender and went for a corner. Tamir Cohen’s foul on

Altidore gave Hull a 30-yard free-kick a minute before the interval

but the USA international drove wide. Seven minutes into the second

half Kamil Zayatte reacted a fraction of a second quicker than

Cohen to flick away Paul Robinson’s hanging free-kick as the Bolton

midfielder prepared to shoot from six yards. But Wanderers’ defence

has had cracks in it all season and no more so was it evident on

the hour when the unmarked Zayatte planted a header wide from

Hunt’s right-wing corner when he should have hit the target. It was

to prove a costly miss as Bolton went straight down the other end

and added a second, for which Myhill was culpable. The Hull

goalkeeper came to collect Robinson’s free-kick from the halfway

line as it dropped gently into the penalty area but he failed to

reach it as Davies out-muscled Bernard Mendy to nod a back-header

past him. Gary Cahill could have made the game safe but saw his low

drive deflect enough off Anthony Gardner for Myhill to turn it

around the post. Bolton’s hopes of a first clean sheet of the

season were dashed in the 71st minute when their defensive frailty

was exposed as Fagan crossed and Hunt out-jumped Steinsson to head

home. Seven minutes later the Tigers midfielder scored a fortuitous

equaliser when Jaaskelainen could only get a fingertip to his

cross-shot from Zayatte’s punt to the far post and the ball crossed

the line despite the best efforts of Robinson to hook it out In the

last minute Steinsson almost bagged the winner but his 18-yard shot

was deflected just wide.