Trio strike as Hammers tame Tigers

West Ham, who climb to 13th place in the table, were given a dream

start by Behrami who combined with Guillermo Franco to fire past

Boaz Myhill in the third minute. Myhill then kept West Ham at bay

until the 59th minute when Cole got on the end of Faubert’s pass to

slide an angled drive under Myhill to make it two. Hull had Craig

Fagan sent off for two bookable offences and captain Anthony

Gardner stretchered off with an ankle injury after City had used up

all three of their substitutes. Faubert made it three in the final

minute with a rising angled drive to give West Ham back-to-back

wins for the first time in the league since March 2009. West Ham

almost scored in the opening minute but Alessandro Diamanti’s

free-kick was saved at the near post by Myhill. But the home side

went ahead against their fellow strugglers a minute later when

Behrami combined with Franco before firing past Myhill for his

first goal of the season. West Ham were in complete control and

Cole should have done better with a 20-yard volley that was closer

to the corner flag than Myhill’s goal. Referee Martin Atkinson had

a long chat with both Paul McShane and Franco after the Hull

defender complained he was victim of an elbow from the West Ham

striker. In the 21st minute, Diamanti was wide of the target with a

close-range volley and seconds later he watched his 25-yard shot

fly high over the crossbar. Hull had Myhill to thank in the 23rd

minute when Andy Dawson lost possession to Behrami but the Hull

goalkeeper punched his fierce volley to safety. It was the home

side’s best moment since they opened the scoring. Hull were poor

and becoming more frustrated every minute. In the 24th minute,

Fagan was booked for a clumsy foul on Scott Parker. Myhill pulled

off another sensational save in the 27th minute when Diamanti’s

cross was met by Behrami at the far post. Behrami’s header looked

goalbound until Myhill somehow managed to turn the ball away on the

line. Hull’s only response was a poor effort from Tom Cairney who

sent a shot well wide of the target from eight yards after McShane

found him unmarked with a curling cross. A poor challenge by

Faubert on Stephen Hunt on the left wing allowed Hull a chance to

put some pressure on the home goal but they had to settle for a

corner when Scott Parker headed the ball to safety. Hunt’s

resultant flag-kick was punched clear by Robert Green and seconds

later the England goalkeeper ensured West Ham preserved their lead

when he tipped away a rising drive from George Boateng. Hull’s

plight got worse in the 52nd minute when Fagan collected a second

yellow card for a foul on Diamanti and was sent-off. Fagan was

furious with the decision by Atkinson but eventually left the

pitch. Parker was then booked for a foul on Zaki as the tempo of

the game increased. But West Ham went 2-0 in front in the 59th

minute when Faubert’s through-ball put Cole in the clear and the

England international ran on to slot an angled shot under Myhill.

The home side continued to dominate with Behrami a continued

threat. He was now on the left flank in place of Franco who was

replaced by Ilan. Franco almost made it three for West Ham with an

audacious shot from the half-way line. The West Ham striker saw

Myhill off his line and his shot had to be palmed away for a corner

by the Hull keeper. Hull went down to nine-men with 10 minutes

remaining when Anthony Gardner was stretchered off with an ankle

injury after an innocent challenge with Mido. City had already used

their substitutes after replacing Hunt, Cairney and Jan Vennegoor

of Hesselink with Nick Barmby, Jozy Altidore and Seyi Olofinjana.

It made their task impossible and West Ham made it three in the

final minute when Faubert fired beyond Myhill.