Sterling scores early goal on Manchester City debut against Roma

Raheem Sterling scored inside three minutes of his Manchester City debut as the Premier League side beat Roma 5-4 on penalties after an entertaining 2-2 draw in the International Champions Cup.

Having completed his £49m ($76m) move from Liverpool last week, the 20-year-old forward did not take long to make an impact for his new club as he slid a shot past Morgan De Sanctis with just 137 seconds on the clock.

Miralem Pjanic replied with a well-struck equaliser, but Sterling continued to impress at the Melbourne Cricket Ground until he was replaced at half-time.

City regained the lead when Kelechi Iheanacho capitalised on Ashley Cole’s poor backpass to score, only for a brilliant late free-kick from Adem Ljajic to level at 2-2 and force penalties.

Roma took an early advantage after Aleksandar Kolarov missed, but Joe Hart saved two penalties and scored one to secure a 5-4 victory for City.

While last season’s Premier League runners-up fielded a number of youngsters at the MCG, all eyes were on Sterling in his first appearance for City.

Playing in the number seven shirt, his first touch is one he will want to forget as he fell over the ball – much to the delight of the Liverpool supporters in the stadium

However, that was soon forgotten as the England international raced on to Iheanacho’s through ball in the third minute and calmly finished past De Sanctis.

Roma were back on level terms just minutes later when Pjanic rifled a 25-yard shot past Willy Caballero and into the back of the net.

Sterling thought he should have had a penalty to add to his goal when he was brought down by Alessandro Florenzi midway through the first half, but the referee waved play on.

Roma, who finished second in Serie A last season, finished the half on top as Vincent Kompany and Eliaquim Mangala cut out dangerous crosses with players waiting in the middle.

Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart during the penalty shoot-out during the International Champions Cup game against Roma in Melbourne, Australia.

Sterling’s last action of his debut was to fire a long-range effort over the bar before he was one of nine City changes at the break.


One of Roma’s half-time substitutes, Cole, gifted City their second goal soon after the interval when he headed into Iheanacho’s path and the Nigerian youngster finished the one-on-one chance.

Rony Lopes was then denied from close range by De Sanctis before Yaya Toure fired in a first-time shot that the keeper did well to hold.

It looked as though City would hold onto their advantage until the 87th minute when Toure gave away a free-kick on the edge of the box and Ljajic fired past Hart.

That took the game to penalties and it looked as though Roma would come out on top as Kolarov blazed City’s second attempt over the bar.

However, after scoring a spot-kick, Hart saved Seydou Doumbia’s chipped effort and then kept out Seydou Keita’s shot to ensure City triumphed.

Sterling was taken off at half-time – along with eight other City players – but manager Manuel Pellegrini was pleased with his display.

The Chilean told a post-match press conference: "Well it is always important for the strikers to score. He scored very early in the game.

"He just played 45 minutes. He has worked with our team for just a few days so I am very happy with the way he played.

"He demonstrated why he is here, he demonstrated not only his value as a player. He is a very young player so I think he will improve a lot in the future, playing with Yaya (Toure), David Silva and (Sergio) Kun Aguero.

"I am very happy for him and very happy for our team to have bought him."

Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli was also keen to congratulate his former team-mate for his performance.

He posted on his Twitter account: "Well done @sterling31 Best answer! Keep it up."