St Johnstone hold on for draw

Nine-man St Johnstone drew 1-1 at St Mirren in what can only be

described as a bad tempered affair in the SPL on Saturday.

The Perth side played most of the second half two men short

after Chris Millar was ordered off, joining Steven Anderson who was

red-carded in the first half.

It took the Perth Saints 10 minutes to weather the home storm

and in a quick break upfield, Gregory Tade’s cross picked out the

unmarked Liam Craig but he could only guide his header over the


Craig did better after 14 minutes when he nodded on Callum

Davidson’s cross into the path of Murray Davidson, who rose high

above Lee Mair inside the six-yard box to head the ball past Craig

Samson and open the scoring.

Both sides were determined to press forward and the next opening

came the visitors’ way. Steve MacLean’s 25-yard drive was curling

low inside the left-hand post until Samson, at full stretch, palmed

the ball round the post.

Craig then volleyed an inviting cross from Millar over the bar

as St Johnstone chased a second goal.

At the other end Guy evaded a challenge from Anderson but from

15 yards he hoisted his shot over the bar.

Then after 37 minutes the same players tangled at the edge of

the box but this time as Guy moved towards the penalty area he was

tripped by Anderson. As the last man, referee Bobby Madden had no

option but to show the St Johnstone defender a red card.

The Paisley side came close to grabbing the equaliser when Kenny

McLean’s free-kick was deflected off the defensive wall, forcing

Alan Mannus into a superb one-handed save to turn the ball


An action-packed first half ended where it started, with Teale

again the provider to set up John McGinn. But after creating space

for himself at the edge of the box the young midfielder was unlucky

to see his thunderous drive rebound from the face of the


A defender down, St Johnstone took the half-time break to

rearrange their line-up, bringing on Tam Scobbie at the expense of

Rowan Vine. Conversely, Danny Lennon used the extra man advantage

by replacing Marc McAusland with the attack-minded Dougie


McGinn was at the heart of most of the action and when he was

tripped by Chris Millar after 67 minutes, the St Johnstone man was

shown his second yellow card reducing the visitors to nine men.

From the resultant free-kick, Kenny McLean’s brilliant drive was

matched by Mannus, but having pushed the ball wide of his goal the

keeper was beaten as Paul Dummett lashed the ball high into the net

for his first goal for the club.

Mannus was the visitors’ hero after 77 minutes when David van

Zanten’s shot from 20 yards was net-bound until the keeper beat the

ball away.

But the keeper had to thank Wright for saving a point four

minutes from time. Steve Thomson seemed certain to score from six

yards but as the ball thundered toward the net, Wright slid in to

boot clear and leave the scores level at the end of a pulsating