Spurs win, City and United held

United launched a stunning comeback in the lunchtime kick-off to

rescue a point through Federico Macheda and Nemanja Vidic after

Villa looked set for their first home win over the Red Devils in 15

years. Villa, lacking nine players through injury or illness,

stunned United as Ashley Young and Marc Albrighton put them in

command with only 15 minutes remaining. But United rallied through

Macheda and skipper Vidic to maintain their unbeaten record this

season. Nevertheless, they are still three points behind Premier

League leaders Chelsea who have a game in hand against Sunderland

on Sunday. Tottenham enjoyed their first league win since October

16 when they beat Blackburn 4-2 at White Hart Lane. However, the

loss of two late goals meant they squandered the chance to move

into fifth. Gareth Bale gave Spurs the lead in the 16th minute.

Rafael Van der Vaart swung in a corner which an unmarked Bale

attacked to power in a header at the near post. Referee Andre

Mariner then awarded a questionable penalty to Spurs just after the

half hour when Paul Robinson was adjudged to have brought down

Peter Crouch but Roman Pavlyuchenko put the ball wide. The Russian

then made up for his miss three minutes before half-time when he

headed home. Crouch sent a shot into the roof of the net before

Bale got Spurs’ fourth following close control by Van der Vaart.

Spurs, though, lost their concentration as they allowed David Dunn

and Gael Givet to pull two goals back in the last 10 minutes.

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway ensured he remained in the spotlight

when he named a completely different XI for the clash at West Ham.

The Premier League are investigating Holloway’s decision to make 10

changes for the midweek trip to Aston Villa. West Ham had to make

an early change when Kieron Dyer limped out of the game after less

than 20 minutes. Blackpool had to replace goalkeeper Gilks at the

start of the second half, after he appeared to jar his knee when

clearing a goal-kick, with Richard Kingson coming on for an

unexpected second appearance of the week. Victor Obinna shot over

the bar for the hosts before former Hammers striker Marlon

Harewood’s effort was ruled out for offside. Gary Taylor-Fletcher

missed a great chance for the Seasiders and the game finished

goalless, the Hammers still rooted to the bottom. Manchester City

drew 0-0 at home to Birmingham as manager Roberto Mancini finds

himself increasingly in the spotlight after just one win in five

games. Carlos Tevez thought he had put City ahead late on in the

first half but it was ruled out for handball with the Argentinian

booked. Despite the Blues failing to break the deadlock manager

Roberto Mancini took off Tevez to protests from the City fans and

replaced him with Gareth Barry. Bolton moved into fifth after they

held on for a 3-2 win at Wolves who remain firmly in the relegation

zone. Wolves suffered the worst possible start when Richard

Steadman headed into his own net in the first minute. Johan

Elmander then doubled Bolton’s lead with a little over an hour

gone. The Swede received the ball under the attention of three

defenders but close control saw him wriggle free and he calmly

slotted home. Stuart Holden made it 3-0 when he finished off a

passing move five minutes later. Wolves immediately pulled one back

when Kevin Foley curled the ball home and they reduced the deficit

further through Steven Fletcher’s header. Despite intense pressure

the Molineux side could not find the equaliser. Newcastle drew 0-0

with Fulham while Victor Moses’ 70th-minute goal saw Wigan claim

victory over West Brom.