Sidibe scores in Wednesday win

Mamady Sidibe scored his first Sheffield Wednesday goal as the

Owls won 1-0 at Bolton to record a third consecutive victory.

David Ngog and Martin Petrov had opportunities to put Wanderers

in front before Sidibe opened the scoring in the 25th minute of the

Boxing Day clash at the Reebok Stadium in the Championship.

An excellent stop from Owls goalkeeper Chris Kirkland denied

Benik Afobe 20 minutes from time and the visitors held out.

Peterborough’s victory at Wolves means Wednesday remain two

points above the relegation zone, five points shy of Wanderers.

Dougie Freedman’s pre-season promotion favourites remain slumped in

16th position following back-to-back losses.

Bolton defender Sam Ricketts made a hash of clearing a long ball

forward to present Michail Antonio with an early opportunity but

the Wednesday winger could not get his shot away.

The hosts proceeded to have the better of the early exchanges

and Ngog – leading the line in the absence of suspended captain

Kevin Davies – displayed superb close control in a fine solo run

that ended with save of equal quality from Kirkland in the 15th


Petrov and Ngog produced some slick interplay before the former

Manchester City winger lost his footing at the vital moment 10

yards from goal.

It was a slip his team would come to regret as Wednesday took

the lead against the run of play moments later.

Lewis Buxton delivered a searching cross from the right and

Sidibe got the better of Tim Ream in the air to emphatically power


Sidibe almost had a second in the 36th minute, just failing to

get the decisive touch on Rhys McCabe’s corner.

Bolton were evidently rattled and might have been two behind at

the break after Lee weaved his way around Ricketts and fired a shot

at goalkeeper Adam Bogdan.

Ngog knew little about it when he nearly brought Bolton level in

the 53rd minute – Afobe’s well-struck cross from the byline

following a brilliant run striking him on the chest and trickling


Kirkland bettered his first-half stop from Ngog in the 70th

minute when Afobe met a superb Chris Eagles cross but was denied

from point-blank range.

A concerted late rally never truly materialised from Bolton and

Wednesday were safe when Ngog’s late header from Zat Knight’s cross

landed well wide.