Shoot-out joy for Brentford

Brentford beat Swindon on penalties after a thrilling 3-3 draw

at Griffin Park to reach the League One play-off final.

With the aggregate score tied at 4-4 after a pulsating 120

minutes in the semi-final second leg, Simon Moore saved Miles

Storey’s penalty before Adam Forshaw fired in the winning spot-kick

to seal the Bees’ place in the Wembley final against Yeovil Town

later this month.

Adam Rooney’s unfortunate own goal opened the scoring, before

Clayton Donaldson’s neat turn and shot doubled the Bees’ lead.

Rooney made amends moments later, putting the Robins back in it

from close range.

Donaldson extended the home side’s lead, finishing well after

intercepting Gary Roberts’ wayward pass, but goals from Joe Devera

and a late Aden Flint header sent the tie into extra-time.

Brentford were gifted a 24th-minute lead when Harry Forrester

whipped in a corner and Rooney diverted the ball past his own


The Bees sensed they could kill Swindon off in the first half

and recalled striker Trotta thumped a shot against a post, and they

got their second in the 40th minute when Donaldson collected the

ball on the edge of the Swindon area and slotted a low drive past

Wes Foderingham into the corner of the net.

But Swindon were thrown a lifeline before the interval when Tom

Adeyemi and Toumani Diagouraga got themselves into an almighty

muddle on the halfway line. Town broke clear through Gary Roberts,

and when his shot was blocked, Rooney was on hand to tuck in the


However, Roberts suffered brain freeze moments after the restart

when his sloppy pass on the halfway line sent Donaldson racing

towards goal before coolly dinking the ball over Foderingham to

restore Brentford’s two-goal advantage.

Yet Swindon refused to go away quietly and in the 57th minute,

when Brentford failed to clear Raffaele De Vita’s corner, Devera

swept the loose ball high into the net.

Bees substitute Sam Saunders could have wrapped up victory but

his curler clipped the crossbar, and instead, five minutes into

stoppage-time, Flint nodded in Roberts’ corner to stun the hosts

again and take the tie into extra time.

Swindon were reduced to 10 men when Nathan Byrne was shown a

second yellow for deliberate handball and Foderingham twice saved

from Donaldson to take the tie to penalties.

But the Bees kept their nerve in the shoot-out and Forshaw’s

effort sparked a pitch invasion and wild scenes of celebration,

relief and disbelief.