Shiels buoyed by Boyd signing

Stand-in skipper Joe Ledley scored twice as Celtic cruised to a

5-0 win over SPL bottom club Dundee at Celtic Park.

Ledley scored once in each half, while James Forrest and Dylan

McGeouch were also on target and Gary Hooper netted for the first

time in six matches as the hosts extended their lead at the top of

the table to 21 points.

The Dark Blues thought they had taken the lead after just five

minutes when Gary Harkins’ free-kick crept in at the near past but

an alert linesman spotted that John Baird had strayed offside.

Neil Lennon’s side soon reasserted their control and were ahead

through Ledley, who captained the team in the absence of the

injured Scott Brown.

Dundee keeper Rab Douglas could only palm an Emilio Izaguirre

cross into the path of Ledley and he slotted home from eight yards


Gary Irvine then pulled off a crucial block to deny Forrest’s

goalbound effort before Hooper came to the fore.

First he fired over following some neat link-up play with strike

partner Anthony Stokes before Douglas palmed away a stinging

effort, with a subsequent low angled drive fizzing just past the


The visitors briefly rallied, with Fraser Forster doing well to

tip a deflected Harkins shot over the bar.

The same player was then denied soon afterwards, his header

bouncing up off the turf before hitting the crossbar.

That was as good as it got for the Taysiders though as they were

reduced to 10-men early in the second half and conceded from the

penalty spot.

Matt Lockwood, only on the pitch for three minutes after coming

on as a half-time substitute, was dismissed on 48 for bringing down

Hooper right in front of goal and Forrest send Douglas the wrong

way with his spot-kick.

Stokes then scuffed an inviting shot past the post but Dylan

McGeouch killed the game off with a header into the top corner

after the impressive Stokes had clipped the ball into the box


Ledley notched up his second goal of the contest when he curled

left-footed into the top of the net after Stokes had laid the ball

off to him, with Dundee struggling to cope (73).

Celtic continued to press and Hooper ended his mini goal drought

in emphatic fashion seven minutes from time, controlling Ledley’s

ball into the box before volleying home.

Boyd, who scored 164 goals across spells with Killie and Rangers

between 2001 and 2010, re-signed before Saturday’s 1-1 draw with

Aberdeen at Rugby Park in the SPL.

“It was great to get him in and it’s great to have that type of

person back in the squad,” said Shiels. “He will be back in with us

on Monday and we will work from there. It’s self-explanatory what

he will bring to us – he is the top scorer of all time in the SPL


“There’s a hunger there and I can see that, I think he’s an

excellent professional who has served the game well and we are

excited about that.”

Kilmarnock were fortunate to claim a share of the spoils against

the Dons. Rory Fallon’s brilliant volley gave Aberdeen the lead

they deserved before Paul Heffernan got Kilmarnock back on terms

five minutes before half-time.

Aberdeen passed up a number of good chances to grab a vital

second goal and were denied a penalty with 15 minutes remaining

when Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell appeared to foul Niall McGinn

in the penalty area.

Shiels would not be drawn on the controversial decision, saying:

“I’m trying very hard to discipline myself not to speak about


“I’m not allowed to speak about referees and I’m not allowed to

speak about other teams because they’ll fall out with me.”

Aberdeen striker McGinn was baffled after receiving a yellow

card for diving in the incident.

“In my own eyes and in the eyes of a few of the Kilmarnock

players too it was a stonewall penalty – I think the referee was

the only person inside the ground that didn’t think it was a

penalty,” said McGinn.

“I was chasing the goalkeeper down and he took a bad touch, I

thought I was going to raid him then he brought me down.

“You just have to get on with things, being a professional

footballer you just have to get on with things.”

The Dons now face a crucial encounter against Ross County on

Tuesday evening and the Northern Ireland international believes

they can take confidence from their display at Rugby Park.

“We played well against Kilmarnock and we have to take that into

our game against Ross County,” he said.

“Hopefully on Tuesday we can take our chances.”