Second fatality in Enschede

One person was killed and a number of others suffered serious

injuries when the disaster happened on Thursday at De Grolsch Veste

Stadium. A statement released by the Municipality of Enschede on

Friday night confirmed the second fatality, a 24-year-old man from

the city of Oldenzaal. “It is terrible that we again have to mourn

a death,” said mayor Peter den Oudsten. “Our thoughts are with his

family and those close to him.” Construction workers were trapped

beneath the wreckage and, including the fatalities, a total of 16

people were eventually confirmed to have suffered injuries. Earlier

on Friday, Twente chairman Joop Munsterman said the club’s players,

currently on a tour of New Zealand, are to return home. Munsterman,

who left New Zealand – where the club were due to face the national

side at the weekend – as soon as he had been informed of the

incident, released a statement which read: “We wish everyone who is

affected in any way a lot of strength and in particular we express

our condolences to the families of the deceased. “It is therefore

impossible for us to continue our training camp in New Zealand and

we cannot play against New Zealand. “We did not want to remain such

a distance from what happened today. The open day on July 17 will

not occur and the other events in the stadium will not proceed

until further notice.” Ilse Hoekstra, a spokeswoman on the scene,

told Press Association Sport that a representative from the Dutch

public prosecution service had been sent to launch an investigation

to determine the cause of the collapse. Pictures taken from outside

the ground showed a large section of the roof had fallen onto a

bank of seating already in place behind the goal in the southern

end of the stadium. The work being carried out was part of a

development to increase the capacity of the stadium to more than

30,000. The ground only held 13,500 when the 2010 Eredivisie

champions moved there in 1998.