Second date for Trotters and Spurs

Bolton were the superior side for an hour and opened the scoring in

the 34th minute when a flowing 16-pass move started by goalkeeper

Jussi Jaaskelainen culminated in Kevin Davies scoring from 12

yards. But Defoe’s clinical finish in the 61st minute put his side

on level terms before Tom Huddlestone was handed the chance to win

it for Spurs when Sam Ricketts handled in the box. Huddlestone

failed from the spot, though, and the sides will now meet in a

replay at White Hart Lane. However Bolton, who created four decent

openings in the opening quarter of an hour, should have had a

comfortable cushion before allowing Spurs back into the game. Johan

Elmander’s ninth-minute shot was deflected over by Vedran Corluka

after Chung-Yong Lee’s cross came back off Matt Taylor, Zat Knight

volleyed straight at goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes and Elmander’s

threatening run into the left of the area was halted only by

Huddlestone’s well-timed tackle. However, the Swede was more

culpable when he was sent clear by Ricardo Gardner’s 15th-minute

through-ball as his first touch took him wide and his second saw

him blaze wildly over with his left foot. Taylor was next to

threaten with a low curling 30-yard free-kick which Gomes did well

to turn around the post. Bolton’s pressure eventually told in the

34th minute with a flowing move for which Owen Coyle’s sides have

earned a reputation. Gardner’s threaded pass picked out Elmander’s

diagonal run 10 yards outside the penalty area and he exchanged

passes with Lee before crossing from the byline to Davies who took

one touch and stabbed home. Defoe’s sole contribution of the first

half was to get booked, along with Taylor, for his part in an

argument with the Bolton midfielder late on. Davies almost scored

his second two minutes after the break when Lee’s cross was laid

off by Elmander and the Wanderers captain’s shot was deflected just

wide of the post by Michael Dawson with Gomes completely

wrong-footed. The one-way traffic continued with Elmander firing

into the side-netting after combining with Fabrice Muamba and

Davies to find space on the right of the penalty area. Muamba

should have done better in the 54th minute when a quick

counter-attack saw Paul Robinson dispossess Peter Crouch in the

Wanderers penalty area and release Davies who in turn sent Elmander

racing down the left but when the cross came in the England

Under-21 international screwed his shot wide. Tottenham had two

chances to equalise within the space of the next 120 seconds but

were denied twice by the woodwork. Firstly Crouch beat Jaaskelainen

to head against the crossbar and then Wilson Palacios’ driving run

and cross saw Robinson deflect the ball up and on to the top of the

frame of the goal. Spurs eventually made the breakthrough in the

61st minute when Gareth Bale cut into the area and picked out Defoe

on the penalty spot who took a touch before firing high into the

net. Six minutes later substitute Niko Kranjcar, on for the

ineffective Modric, lashed in a 25-yard shot which Jaaskelainen had

to tip around the post at full stretch. With 19 minutes remaining

Spurs were handed the chance to score a second when Crouch’s

attempt to lift the ball over Ricketts saw it hit the defender’s

arm. However, Huddlestone’s effort from the spot was poor and

Jaaskelainen saved to his right. The goalkeeper was called into

action again moments later to turn Defoe’s shot around the post.

After such inactivity earlier in the game it was Spurs who finished

the stronger but Bolton held out to earn a trip to White Hart Lane.