RW: Ex manager Guus first class

The Dutchman, who enjoyed a successful spell as caretaker in 2009,

is said to be the preferred choice of owner Roman Abramovich to

replace Carlo Ancelotti – axed at the end of the season a year

after leading the Blues to an historic Double. Hiddink, 64, is

currently on holiday and is understood to be considering his

expected exit from the Turkish national team – which is reported to

hold a £4million compensation package – to take up a role with

the Blues. However, just what that is set to be has yet to be

established, and could develop into a sporting director position –

which used to be held by Frank Arnesen – with Hiddink working above

a younger coach, such as Marco van Basten or Mark Hughes, the

former Chelsea striker who last week quit his job at west London

neighbours Fulham. Wilkins was on the backroom staff with Luiz

Felipe Scolari, Hiddink and then Ancelotti before his unpopular

departure in November 2010 when it was announced the former

midfielder’s contract would not be renewed. The 54-year-old feels

Hiddink would certainly need little transition back into the

hotseat. “Guus obviously knows the guys from being there a couple

of years ago and won the FA Cup as well as reaching the semi-finals

of the Champions League,” Wilkins told Sky Sports News. “He knows

the ins and outs of Stamford Bridge, so from that aspect I would

say Guus would be a first-class appointment. “I am saddened by the

fact that Carlo is no longer there, but if they are going to get

someone in, then Guus knows the guys, the way they work, their

mentality and I don’t think he would have a problem.” Wilkins,

though, is not sold on the idea of another coach working underneath

a sporting director. He added: “If we are talking about someone

like Mark Hughes or Marco van Basten going in with Guus, I am not

quite sure whether that works, purely and simply because they are

manager themselves. “I don’t think that works too well, but that is

entirely up to club what they wish to do, but I would certainly say

if they are going to get Guus as the main man, then there is really

no problem with that whatsoever.” Chelsea are set to return to

pre-season training on July 4 ahead of games against Vitesse Arnhem

and Portsmouth before heading off to the Asia Trophy. Whoever is in

charge next season will have to make sure Chelsea do not suffer

another mid-term dip in form which proved so costly. Goalkeeper

Petr Cech told Chelsea TV Online: “In the last two months we had

been winning and you could see the team had the quality to defend

the title, but unfortunately that dip in December and January cost

us. “You know that you can’t win everything all the time, but on

the other hand with the quality we had, we had much more potential

to be fulfilled this season, so that is always a disappointment.”

Cech added: “Ray leaving must have been a bit of a coincidence as

well, because you cannot just blame the departure of one coach on

everything which is not right because the manager stayed, the other

people were here. “The quality of the training was the same, the

players were the same and it did not work, so it is not only about

one person leaving the club, although everybody liked Ray. “It was

about us not performing well and it took us a while to come through

that, which can happen – but unfortunately not if you want to win

something.”