Ruiz ruled out until New Year
Fulham defender Zdenek Grygera has retired from football,
manager Martin Jol has confirmed.
Grygera, who joined Fulham in 2011, did not have his contract
renewed at the end of the season after rupturing his anterior
The 32-year-old, who has earned 65 international caps for the
Czech Republic, continued his rehabilitation in the hope of earning
a new deal but has now called time on his playing career.
“Grygera told me that he will quit,” said Jol.
“He will stay with us until the December 15. He is retiring as
it is now as he first wants to be healthy, sound and get back to
his fitness because he has a few problems with his hip and his
“He was probably never 100 per cent, not even 90 per cent, but
he is an unbelievable character.
“He started two weeks ago but then after 10 minutes had to quit
again so he made the decision to call it a day for now.
“If he feels fine in the summer, maybe he could start somewhere
in Austria or in his country, the Czech Republic.
“It is a shame and it was hard for him, but he was very
realistic and of course he was not under contract here because he
never played games.
“I feel for him because I think there was another two or three
years in him but it was his decision.
“He is retiring from Fulham and England. He wants to be fit and
doesn’t want to end up in a wheelchair. That is actually what he
said and I know what he means.”
Don’t miss any live and exclusive football coverage this
festive season. Click
to visit Sky Sports’ Festive Calendar
The Spaniard has been under fire since his controversial
appointment at Stamford Bridge last month, with his unpopularity
amongst fans in large part down to comments he made about the west
Londoners and their fans whilst Liverpool boss.
Benitez has hardly done much to inspire faith with two draws and
a defeat in his opening three Barclays Premier League games –
scoring just one goal in that time – to slip 10 points behind
leaders Manchester United.
There are already reports that owner Roman Abramovich is looking
to replace Benitez but Grant shot down rumours linking him with a
return to the club he guided to the Champions League final in 2008
and added the former Valencia boss needs to be fully supported by
“Nobody from Chelsea has offered me this job,” the Israeli told
BBC Radio 5 Live.
“I heard a rumour but I think this is not what’s important.
“What’s important is Chelsea have a manager and the club need to
support him and not look for any other things.”
When asked if he would consider working alongside Benitez, Grant
responded: “I don’t think it’s the right idea for the moment.
“I don’t like to speak about myself now because I have other
things to do at this stage.
“I think Benitez is a very experienced coach and manager and I
don’t think a few weeks after they give him the job he will leave
and I don’t think it will be right.
“He needs to use all experience to take the club in a different
direction and they need to do everything to support him and not to
Benitez did at least claim his first victory with the Blues last
night although a 6-1 Champions League win over FC Nordsjaelland was
not enough to seal a passage to the knockout stages following
Juventus’ 1-0 win at Shakhtar Donetsk.
Chelsea instead became the first holders of the Champions League
crown to drop out of the tournament at the group stage.
Grant, who was last in charge of Partizan Belgrade, believes
Chelsea need to carry on winning in order to convince the club’s
supporters Benitez is the man for the job.
“Any winning is good and what Rafa needs is a good win and good
football really to convince the supporters that they need to
support him,” he added.
“But I think more than this the club needs to support him then
it will be easy for him because it’s not easy times for Chelsea,
first time out of the Champions League next stage and the gap
between them and the first place in the league, I think he needs it
and they need it.”
The 26-year-old Honduras international has long been linked with
a move to the DW Stadium and is set to swap Major League Soccer for
the Premier League when his MLS contract expires at the end of the
Espinoza is a versatile player who can play in either defence or
midfield and he impressed at this summer’s Olympics with his
performance against Brazil in the quarter-finals.
Martinez said: “We’re working really hard to try to make it
happen and we’re looking forward to seeing if we can get that one
“There are a few steps: there is the work permit, there are
certain aspects we need to fulfil in the paperwork but Roger is a
player that we’ve been following for a long, long time.
“We’ve seen him enjoying his football in the Olympic Games
recently with Honduras, and in the World Cup as well he’s been an
important part of that group of players with (Wigan defender)
Maynor Figueroa. He would be a real asset for us.
“But until January 1 we can’t do anymore than wait and make sure
we prepare ourselves for the steps we’ve got ahead to make him a
Wigan Athletic player.”
Although United head to the Etihad Stadium three points clear of
their neighbours, who were dumped out of Europe altogether on
Tuesday, Ferguson is adopting a cautious approach.
In his programme notes ahead of Wednesday night’s 1-0 defeat to
CFR Cluj Ferguson outlined his belief that both sides may opt to
The United boss is particularly fearful of his leaky
And it leads him to conclude it would be a significant moment in
his Old Trafford tenure if the Red Devils were to come out on
“If we win [on Sunday] it will be one of our best ever results,”
Ferguson told MUTV.
“They are a really good, powerful team with massive players.
“It won’t be easy and if we defend like we did at Reading we’ll
be in trouble.
“The important thing for us is to take lessons from the mistakes
we’re making and do something about it. We need to find a
With Chelsea and Arsenal sliding out of the picture, and
Liverpool having never been in it, even at this early stage, it
appears to be a straight battle between the two Manchester clubs
Ferguson, who has a fitness doubt over Tom Cleverley, is not
buying into that assessment.
“At this time in the season you can’t really say it’s a
two-horse race,” he said.
“If you think back we were 12 points behind Chelsea at one point
and when Arsenal beat us in the league in 1998 we were 11 points
The 27-year-old has been missing since the 3-1 defeat to
Sunderland three weeks ago and was expected to return against
However, Fulham manager Martin Jol has confirmed Ruiz will miss
Monday’s match and will be out until the New Year after suffering a
“He came back on Monday then he had a setback and he will be out
for at least four weeks,” Jol said.
“It is the same injury. He was in the final stage of his
rehabilitation and he aggravated his hamstring muscle again.
“He has had intensive screening and that highlighted some
Jol has voiced his frustration in the past at the number of
injuries Ruiz has picked up, especially when he has travelled back
to his native Costa Rica for international duty.
The Dutchman, though, insists the hamstring complaint has
nothing to do with that.
“He had this hamstring injury before, now we’ve found out it is
a structural thing,” Jol said.
“We had a second opinion and hopefully we found a solution now,
but he needs treatment and he will be out for the next four
“Maybe before he went back to his country and then he came back
with a different injury, but as it is now it is the same injury all
the time. The same area.
“Hopefully we have found a solution. We sent him to Germany with
our people and Doctor [Hans-Wilhelm] Muller-Wohlfahrt is a
specialist I know from my time there.
“Hopefully he will be fine in four weeks now but of course it is
a big disappointment.
“As you know, Bryan was a vital player for us and every time he
played, like against Arsenal, Southampton and Wigan, he was quite
important, but we’ve got other players. Good luck to him and he
will be back after Christmas.”